Current Presto Card Design

My daily driver presto card is quite worn and scuffed, so I wanted to buy a shiny new one from one of those ticket machines to add to my collection of transit memorabilia. I was quite surprised when the machine spit out one of the commemorative Ready For Rail cards!

I remember hearing about these two years ago, and I thought that they were to be a limited edition to celebrate the opening. Does anyone know if these have become the new normal, or was this ticket machine just a late holdout to still have some in stock? In any case, does anyone know of any machines in Ottawa that currently give out the regular green stripey design, I'd like to get a fresh one of those.

IMG_20210409_165952__01.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a question about the Presto Card?

Will the other Presto Card kiosks open any time soon?

The Lincoln Fields location is closed thanks to construction last year, Ben Franklin is only doing appointments through 3-1-1.

I can only renew my pass at the Rideau Centre which is far or at Shoppers Drug Mart and I can't do it over the phone because I need the receipt.

I bought this card at one of the big red and white ticket machines that are anywhere on line 1 and 2, and that machine gave me the option to add a pass or value to an existing card. If you don't mind bussing from Lincoln Fields to Tunney's, I think you can load funds on your card at the machines there. They have some machines outside all the station entrances/exits to street level.

1 hour ago, sherlockholmium said:

I bought this card at one of the big red and white ticket machines that are anywhere on line 1 and 2, and that machine gave me the option to add a pass or value to an existing card. If you don't mind bussing from Lincoln Fields to Tunney's, I think you can load funds on your card at the machines there. They have some machines outside all the station entrances/exits to street level.

I use the community pass which costs about $43.

Edited by STO_1601

As far as I can tell, that is now the official design for Ottawa Presto cards. All ticket machines should be distributing those.

For the community pass, I have no info to offer. Not sure if the St-Laurent station or Place d'Orleans station service desks are open.

Good Day.

OC-T has stated that all desks are closed, and that only the Shoppers, Loblaws, and Machines are available.

"Due to the province wide stay-at-home order, the Rideau Customer Service Centre will be closed starting Thursday, April 8. All other OC Transpo Customer Service Centres remain closed. "

Not sure if the machines still spit a receipt - they did last time I used one.

BTW, OC-T states : "To make sure you don't lose your discount, call us at least 10 days before the expiration date to renew your Community discount." : FYI.

Finally, is your card registerd - do you have an account to log on ? One of the features (used to be) a full list of your transactions - trips, purchases, check-ups, etc. It was useful during the tax Transit Credit era (might still be).

EnJoy.

3 hours ago, J.OT13 said:

As far as I can tell, that is now the official design for Ottawa Presto cards. All ticket machines should be distributing those.

That's interesting! Well, I guess now I have the opposite goal of trying to track down a green card in good shape.

5 hours ago, PHrenetic said:

Finally, is your card registerd - do you have an account to log on ? One of the features (used to be) a full list of your transactions - trips, purchases, check-ups, etc. It was useful during the tax Transit Credit era (might still be).

EnJoy.

It's doesn't matter, I still need the receipt because I'm covered for purchases like this.

Regarding the design of Presto, the “actual” current design is the “black card” version:

image.png.4263073201b5082d5297ea9184ba0532.png

It is a replacement for the green card that was discontinued, at least until supplies ended. You should be able to get those from any transit authority which uses Presto.

Regarding the “Ready for Rail” variant, it was always pitched as a limited time variant for the pre-launch / launch period of Line 1. I haven’t seen any official communication saying it would be the only design offered in Ottawa, but it could have been implicitly depending on stock levels. I would assume all machines / kiosks are going through this stock first either way, and maybe in a few cases one might get the black card.

As far as I am aware, the “Ready for Rail” version is one of the very few variants made for the Presto Card. I cannot seem to find other “special” variants that were launched previously, though it was not an extensive search.

Thanks David, that makes sense and is consistent with what I've seen so far. I went to a couple retail outlets (Shopper's Drug Mart, Loblaws) that were still open and they exclusively had the black cards.

Well I've got a nice little collection now anyway, picked up a black card and I'll retire my green card and get a second "red O" card for my new daily use. These look nice alongside some older paper tickets/transfers.