Stadler FLIRT - New Trains for Trillium Line

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wasn't really a requirement since the LINTs are allowed to operate anyway, but the FLIRTs do have better crash resistance (they meet the FRA's alternate requirements).  The FLIRTs also have the a

Here is a press release shared today by Stadler on the first purchase in Canada of the FLIRT trains. Specifically for the Trillium Line. Delivery of the vehicles will start in mid-2021. Lots of i

Good Day. Elsewhere (I cannot reall offhand) it was noted that City replied to this point with the statement that Stadler had only presented a concept livery for their presentation and announceme

Posted Images

Hi Reecemartin, welcome to the site.

Not sure if you already read it but we have some information about the Stadler FLIRT trains here on the site : https://www.otrainfans.ca/future-fleet/stadler-flirt

Essentially, they have ordered 7 trainsets. Each train will be approximately double the length of the currently operating trains on the Trillium Line. They will enter service when the Trillium Line reopens after the upgrades and expansion sometime in 2021.

The line will be operated with a mixed fleet of the existing Alstom Coradia LINT trains and the new Stadler FLIRT trains. However, the Airport link spur line will be operated with the existing LINT trains as the platforms will need to be shorter.

Beyond the information above I don't have anything else to report at this moment. I'll reach out to the Stage2 team to find out more. Maybe someone else knows more and may add to this below.

Received a few answers about the FLIRTs from Stage 2.

• They will continue the tradition of not having bike racks, but will have multi-user areas between each pair of doors.
  • They will be "partially"(?) built in Switzerland and then will probably be assembled in Ottawa.
  • Spec-wise, they will be similar to TEXRail's FLIRTs.

It will be interesting to see what the interior layout configuration will be for OC Transpo's trains. As I understand, it is possible to pass through the Power Pack. From the images and videos I've seen, it doesn't seem like the Power Pack has actual windows to see out of, which leads me to believe that there isn't any seating, just standing and pass through due to limited space.

The images from TEXRail's train brochure seems to suggest there are washrooms, which from the interior diagram appear to be located at the extremities by the driver's cab, perhaps an explanation why there aren't any windows in that portion in the images. 

On the Ottawa trains, no doubt they will be made inaccessible to passengers. It wouldn't be the first time, as the Bombardier Talents did have washrooms that were closed off from use.

occheetos was sent a link to the brochure of the units TEXRail is getting this year. Attached here TEXRail - Stadler FLIRT.pdf

Keep in mind that the TEXRail unit features only one pair of doors per car, while the OC Transpo trains will have two pairs of doors per car.

19 minutes ago, Shane said:

It will be interesting to see what the interior layout configuration will be for OC Transpo's trains. As I understand, it is possible to pass through the Power Pack. From the images and videos I've seen, it doesn't seem like the Power Pack has actual windows to see out of, which leads me to believe that there isn't any seating, just standing and pass through due to limited space.

The images from TEXRail's train brochure seems to suggest there are washrooms, which from the interior diagram appear to be located at the extremities by the driver's cab, perhaps an explanation why there aren't any windows in that portion in the images. 

On the Ottawa trains, no doubt they will be made inaccessible to passengers. It wouldn't be the first time, as the Bombardier Talents did have washrooms that were closed off from use.

occheetos was sent a link to the brochure of the units TEXRail is getting this year. Attached here TEXRail - Stadler FLIRT.pdf

Keep in mind that the TEXRail unit features only one pair of doors per car, while the OC Transpo trains will have two pairs of doors per car.

I doubt they will even have washrooms put in then? The only reason the Talents had them is that they were part of an existing order.

What I would really hope is that we see electrification within a reasonable timeline.

This time around OC Transpo isn't making an off-the-shelf purchase. These trains will be designed to suit Ottawa's needs (so no bathrooms!) 

What I wish they borrowed from the TEXRail trains are those bike racks!

There are pictures/videos showing the interior of the TEXRail trains and the inside of the power pack is just a narrow, windowless hallway. 

One thing I'd like to know is how they'll handle all the discrepancies between a FLIRT and a coupled pair of LINTs.

A coupled pair of LINTs only has 4 doors per side, compared to a FLIRT''s 8. The FLIRTs will no doubt have a higher acceleration thanks to their electric drive motors compared to the LINTs. Will yellow bollards also be installed at Trillium Line stations to prevent people from falling in between the two LINT cars? How will platform extenders be handled? (My guess is full platform-length extenders).

I'm just generally excited to see the FLIRTs operating here, Stadler makes fantastic trains. I really hope we also see some nice LCD screens inside the FLIRTs and future Citadis vehicles akin to what we've seen on other Stadler orders and Edmonton's Valley Line vehicles.
DU0AhLSVQAAMFop.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested to see the noise levels, especially due to the fact that the diesel power unit is in the middle, so the sound levels at the ends of the train should be quite low. The acceleration should also be smooth being entirely electric traction.

• 2 weeks later...

They have a diagram showing how the Power Pack is made up with the diesel engines to produce the electrical power for the traction motors. Only 3 years to go before we can ride them.

I found this diagram of the TEXRail FLIRTs. It shows their layout and how the seats are arranged. Not necessarily how it will be for our trains but gives an idea. It also suggests the PowerPack is just a pass through corridor with no seating. It is separated from the passenger cars by sliding glass doors.

Overview_PowerPack.jpg.c55eec9c2c8c7aa795279fb7fa7e0457.jpg

Overview_Measurements.thumb.jpg.7ac7148e243827a58c9b320bf5851c28.jpg

Lots of great information and pictures on the TEXRail website. http://www.texrail.com/about/overview/

I'm wondering what kind of livery they'll go with for the FLIRTs. They could stick with the current Trillium Line scheme but I can also imagine they might go with the new scheme they're using on the Confederation Line. That said, I find the scheme on the Confederation Line to be a little bland and the swoosh is a bit outdated at this point. It'd be cool if they could work the "Red O" into the designs more.

I have a neat idea for a scheme that could look cool on the trains, maybe if I have time I'll try and draw it out and share it.

Personally, I don't have anything against the Confederation Line train paint scheme but it is a bit less exciting than what's on the buses or even the Trillium Line. To me a solid colour is more appealing even than just white. I would assume they would try to blend in the FLIRT trains with the LINTS to make them consistent. Then again they could do the opposite and have 3 paint schemes for the three types of train in service.

To project a uniform look , the new trains should have a livery similar if not the same to the LINT trains. Athough as the LINTs will be reduced in numbers on the Trillium Line following the Stage 2 and mostly on the airport spur, they could go with the Confederation Line look.

I do find it interesting if i haven't already said it above that they are getting yet another model of train. Two lines operating three models of train.

Has anyone heard of any reason why they didn't just get more LINTs, and operate them coupled for the main line and as singles for the Airport Spur? The LINTs started service in 2015. Unless the intention is to future proof for electrification. Assuming they keep the trains for around 15-20 years before replacing, you would expect the electrification of the line would happen sooner than 10-15 years from now.

Definitely interesting their choice. I have nothing against either one, just quite curious why not stick with what is currently being used to expand further than operating a mixed fleet. Could also be that they want the trains to have circulation from end to end. The LINTs I believe max out at 3 cars, while the FLIRTS will have 4. In that respect, the cost may be more economical to have a premade 4 car train than 2 two-car trains coupled.