Stations - Stage 2 LRT - Confederation East & West and Trillium South

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The airport station appears quite interesting. I do like how it will integrate right with the airport terminal on the departures level. The airport will see quite a lot of changes over the coming few

That's some great info Mike, thanks. With a positioning like that, it will better serve both departures and arrivals, connecting to the terminal near the stairs and escalators as well as the elevators

Very late to the conversation, but better late than never!  South Keys - the GeoOttawa data isn't entirely up-to-date.  The plan is for a three platform station with the spur now operating complete

Posted Images

12 hours ago, reecemartin said:

All depends, in Vancouver the airport trains have a relatively short turnaround so they are already considering the Spanish solution. At Pearson meanwhile, the trains tend to sit for quite a while.

For people unfamiliar, the Spanish Solution is essentially a station layout with two platforms, one on each side of the line. For example, if the Spanish Solution was used at the Ottawa Airport it would consist of a single track but platforms on both sides of the train. One for boarding and one for disembarking passengers. The doors on the train for disembarking passengers opens several seconds before the opposite doors open for boarding.

15 hours ago, reecemartin said:

All depends, in Vancouver the airport trains have a relatively short turnaround so they are already considering the Spanish solution. At Pearson meanwhile, the trains tend to sit for quite a while.

I don't see the need to significantly increase frequencies to the Ottawa Airport (one train every 10-15 minutes should be more than adequate to it).  Ottawa's population is about 30 years behind Vancouver's and YOW won't ever be as busy as YVR, since  we are so close to both YUL and YYZ.  Once the Trillium line is eventually double tracked, and airport spur can be interlined, they can have 1 train in 3 or 4 go to the airport.

As for the Vancouver Airport, I am not convinced it needs more frequent service than its peak of one train every 6 minutes.  If the objective is to increase the frequency on the main part of the line, they could similarly have one train in 3 go to the airport.  As for Richmond–Brighouse, that is a different story and it is unfortunately equally constrained as the Airport station, so the priority should be to fix that somehow.

On 9/3/2018 at 1:12 AM, Roger1818 said:

I don't see the need to significantly increase frequencies to the Ottawa Airport (one train every 10-15 minutes should be more than adequate to it).  Ottawa's population is about 30 years behind Vancouver's and YOW won't ever be as busy as YVR, since  we are so close to both YUL and YYZ.  Once the Trillium line is eventually double tracked, and airport spur can be interlined, they can have 1 train in 3 or 4 go to the airport.

As for the Vancouver Airport, I am not convinced it needs more frequent service than its peak of one train every 6 minutes.  If the objective is to increase the frequency on the main part of the line, they could similarly have one train in 3 go to the airport.  As for Richmond–Brighouse, that is a different story and it is unfortunately equally constrained as the Airport station, so the priority should be to fix that somehow.

The YVR spur is more popular than most realize, 25% of people going to YVR are already taking the Canada Line, not to mention that Sea Island also has a big new Premium Outlet Mall etc., the issue at the terminus is that trains need to turnaround relatively quickly already as the track to the last station on each branch line is actually single tracked, hence the first train needs to get almost all the way to the second station from YVR/Richmond before the second can even start heading to the termini.

50 minutes ago, reecemartin said:

The YVR spur is more popular than most realize, 25% of people going to YVR are already taking the Canada Line, not to mention that Sea Island also has a big new Premium Outlet Mall etc.,

Certainly the YVR spur is popular, but while some times of day are more popular than other, it doesn't have the same level of crush demand that you see with commuters.  Similar with Outlet Mall at Sea Island (which uses a different station).  As a result, I remain to be convinced that a 6 minute frequency is inadequate for the spur.

50 minutes ago, reecemartin said:

the issue at the terminus is that trains need to turnaround relatively quickly already as the track to the last station on each branch line is actually single tracked, hence the first train needs to get almost all the way to the second station from YVR/Richmond before the second can even start heading to the termini.

The same is true for Richmond–Brighouse.  This is the bigger problem.  My guess is that there isn't a need to increase frequency on the YVR spur, but to increase the frequency on the Richmond spur, they need to increase the frequency on the Airport spur since the single track limits the maximum frequency on each spur.

As for YOW, I just don't see it being a problem.  It is a much smaller airport and won't ever be a major airport like YVR (it is Canada's second busiest airport).

I'm just happy there will be a more pleasant connection to the airport. I've always taken a taxi to go, but with the train, it might be an appealing option. Smoother and more reliable. I read it would be located on the second level, but it's not clear if it would connect to the parking garage and then people could take the walkway, or it would connect directly to the terminal. Or if the terminal would be expanded slightly to take in the train. Either way a structure would have to be built if it ends on the second level.

Any ideas?

22 hours ago, Rob said:

I'm just happy there will be a more pleasant connection to the airport. I've always taken a taxi to go, but with the train, it might be an appealing option. Smoother and more reliable. I read it would be located on the second level, but it's not clear if it would connect to the parking garage and then people could take the walkway, or it would connect directly to the terminal. Or if the terminal would be expanded slightly to take in the train. Either way a structure would have to be built if it ends on the second level.

Any ideas?

As per the Stage 2 Light Rail Transit Implementation Report – Project Definition and Procurement Plan – March 8, 2017 pg. 39.

Airport Station Shift
The functional design concept approved by Council in July 2015 located Airport Station between the Airport terminal and parking garage structures, at the top level of the parking garage – as agreed to by the Airport Authority at that time.
City staff, in consultation with the Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport Authority, are exploring opportunities to improve the location of Airport Station by shifting it closer and potentially connecting it with the airport passenger terminal building. Shifting the station will improve customers’ experience by providing a more direct connection.

I can't find anything official beyond that at the moment.

On 9/9/2018 at 6:34 PM, Rob said:

Any ideas?

The last I heard when consulting with the project planners and designers was that it would be at the terminal's second-level, north of the parking garage and north of the vehicle ramp to the departures level. There would be an enclosed pedestrian walkway from the elevated station to the airport terminal second floor. I believe there is rental car parking or something in that area currently but that's where the elevated station will be.

The original plan was to have it be between the terminal and parking but after consultations with he public that plan has apparently changed as the new location is more convenient and safer for passengers plus it would be cheaper to build.

That's some great info Mike, thanks. With a positioning like that, it will better serve both departures and arrivals, connecting to the terminal near the stairs and escalators as well as the elevators.

Interesting to note that the airport announced in the past week or so some renovations to the main common areas (food and beverage services). These changes will affect both the public area and after passing through security. The main security screening point (currently located on Level 2) will move to Level 3  around the current location of the Rideau Bar and Grill and the Harveys. 

Lots of changes, including in the arrivals area and baggage pickup. They say these changes should be completed sometime in 2020.

More details here: https://yow.ca/en/corporate/concessions/concessions-modernization-plan

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There has been rail maintenance equipment on the tracks near the level crossing on Lester (By the NRC spur and the airport) for at least two weeks. Since the Trillium line will we extended along these tracks I am presuming it must be for some sort of prep work but it could also be for the NRC. Does anyone know?

• 1 month later...

Very late to the conversation, but better late than never! 

South Keys - the GeoOttawa data isn't entirely up-to-date.  The plan is for a three platform station with the spur now operating completely independently of the main line so that operational issues on one won't cross over to the other. GeoOttawa hasn't been updated because the exact details on how to design that are being left up to contract bidders - but the ability to run through trains to the airport at some point is apparently a requirement. 

Hopefully with the new council now getting rolling we will see some major movement on the Stage 2 contracts soon and then really get a sense of how this will work. 

Glad to have found the site!

• Like 1
  • Shane changed the title to Stations - Stage 2 LRT - Confederation East & West and Trillium South