General STO and Gatineau transit news

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your link doesn't work. Here is the correct link ūüôā¬†¬†

Sto will be shifting service to Albert / Slater & Bank / Queen starting  June 21, 2021.  http://www.sto.ca/index.php?id=886&L=en  

Posted Images

With the opening of the Confederation Line, the STO is in a position to improve and further integrate its bus service serving downtown Ottawa.

Most routes will enter Ottawa by the Portage Bridge and instead of all continuing down Wellington to Rideau, they will turn down either Lyon or Bank, and circle around Lyon Station. Some will then proceed and use Albert/Slater to reach the Mackenzie King Bridge and the stops there. Full details via the link below.

http://www.sto.ca/index.php?id=696&L=en

This is old news from months ago but you can see some of the progress to accommodate this new flow with the intersection of Lyon and Queen, now designed to allow for a right turn onto Lyon towards Wellington. The intersection of Lyon to Wellington, still does not properly allow for a left turn, so that will probably be modified as we approach January.

The STO has recently announced that as of January 2, 2019, STO route 20 will take the new trajectory and be the first route to do so. The others will follow in 2019 at some point.

Either way the service will be closer to people's destinations and link quite well with the LRT.

It might just be me but, I am always so surprised how little rail transit exists in Quebec given the fact that Quebecers seem generally more liberal and pro-transit etc. Ontario is going to have 5 cities with separate RT/LRT systems within the next 10 years and Quebec might have 2? I've always found that quite counter-intuitive . . 

I also am surprised by the fact that Montreal isn't doing something similar to GO RER with all their commuter lines given that many seem to have a lot more double track than the current GO lines, maybe someone can shed some light here....

15 hours ago, reecemartin said:

It might just be me but, I am always so surprised how little rail transit exists in Quebec given the fact that Quebecers seem generally more liberal and pro-transit etc. Ontario is going to have 5 cities with separate RT/LRT systems within the next 10 years and Quebec might have 2? I've always found that quite counter-intuitive . . 

I also am surprised by the fact that Montreal isn't doing something similar to GO RER with all their commuter lines given that many seem to have a lot more double track than the current GO lines, maybe someone can shed some light here....

Quebec City is also proposing construction of a 23 km "Tramway"  that includes two underground sections and would be complete by 2026:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-tramway-announcement-1.4577912

After that, I am not sure what city you suggest should have a rail transit system.  Quebec's fourth largest Population Centre is Sherbrooke and with a CMA population of 212 thousand, it is much smaller than any of the Ontario cities building one.

On 8/29/2018 at 5:00 AM, Roger1818 said:

Quebec City is also proposing construction of a 23 km "Tramway"  that includes two underground sections and would be complete by 2026:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-tramway-announcement-1.4577912

After that, I am not sure what city you suggest should have a rail transit system.  Quebec's fourth largest Population Centre is Sherbrooke and with a CMA population of 212 thousand, it is much smaller than any of the Ontario cities building one.

Well the thing that shocks me is that nowhere beyond Montreal has ever gone beyond proposal stages and I feel like most of the proposals I see in Quebec seem less likely to happen.
By the end of 2018 we will have 3 independent RT systems in Ontario (Ottawa, Waterloo, Toronto) and in a few more years we will also have Hamilton and Missasauga.

15 hours ago, reecemartin said:

Well the thing that shocks me is that nowhere beyond Montreal has ever gone beyond proposal stages and I feel like most of the proposals I see in Quebec seem less likely to happen.
By the end of 2018 we will have 3 independent RT systems in Ontario (Ottawa, Waterloo, Toronto) and in a few more years we will also have Hamilton and Missasauga.

Have you ever been to Quebec City?  It a much  older city than Ottawa, Waterloo, Hamilton and Missasauga (or even Toronto) and thus has very narrow streets, so there isn't room for surface rail in the  core, so tunnelling is necessary.  Other than Ottawa (which is much larger than Quebec City), I don't believe any of the other systems will be doing any significant amount of tunnelling.

As for Gatineau, it followed Ottawa's lead and built a busway rather than going with rail.  If you include busways as rapid transit, then it is well ahead of Waterloo,, Hamilton and Missasauga, despite being smaller than any of them

On 9/2/2018 at 10:00 AM, Roger1818 said:

Have you ever been to Quebec City?  It a much  older city than Ottawa, Waterloo, Hamilton and Missasauga (or even Toronto) and thus has very narrow streets, so there isn't room for surface rail in the  core, so tunnelling is necessary.  Other than Ottawa (which is much larger than Quebec City), I don't believe any of the other systems will be doing any significant amount of tunnelling.

As for Gatineau, it followed Ottawa's lead and built a busway rather than going with rail.  If you include busways as rapid transit, then it is well ahead of Waterloo,, Hamilton and Missasauga, despite being smaller than any of them

Haven't been to QC no . . .

Don't think Gatineau is ahead of any of these cities either (ok maybe Hamilton) Waterloo already has tracks in the ground and will be starting LRT service towards the end of the year as well, Missasauga also already has rapid bus service and a very nice Transitway that's fully grade separated.

47 minutes ago, reecemartin said:

Don't think Gatineau is ahead of any of these cities either (ok maybe Hamilton) Waterloo already has tracks in the ground and will be starting LRT service towards the end of the year as well, Missasauga also already has rapid bus service and a very nice Transitway that's fully grade separated.

Umm.  Construction of Gatineau's Rapibus line was completed in the summer of 2013 and with service beginning in the fall of that year.  That was 5 years ago so Gatianau is ahead.

12 minutes ago, Roger1818 said:

Umm.  Construction of Gatineau's Rapibus line was completed in the summer of 2013 and with service beginning in the fall of that year.  That was 5 years ago so Gatianau is ahead.

My point:

LRT Today > Rapid Bus 5 Years Ago

Gatineau was ahead but thats no longer the case imo

• 2 months later...
On 8/28/2018 at 4:02 PM, reecemartin said:

On 9/4/2018 at 9:19 AM, reecemartin said:

Gatineau is a small city of less than 300,000 people.  It didn't make sense to have LRT so 5 years ago, we built the Rapibus.  Since 2015, our Liberal MP Greg Fergus has been promoting LRT for Western Gatineau.  With the routes that it will take, it appears that it will be a tramway running down the middle of main streets, and not an LRT like the completely grade separated one in Ottawa.

• 10 months later...

There are only five ex-Calgary MCI Classics remaining at STO. 9132, 9136, 9137, 9138, 9225 are all that's left at this point.

These buses will likely be gone at the beginning of next year when STO gets 2001-2043 (LFS hybrid).

After these get retired, the Classic era will officially end in Gatineau. It has already ended to a certain extent when all original STO MCI and Nova Classics were retired in May 2018.

Interesting news. I never had issues with the Classics. Clean, dependable, lots of seats. They have been around since the early 80s and we are finally coming to the end of their service in the region. I can't believe only 5 remain, original STO or not.

I do miss the Nova RTS buses. I was fortunate to have ridden a few back in 2012-2013 ish, but I had long wanted to ride them prior to that.

On 2019-10-13 at 10:09 PM, Shane said:

Interesting news. I never had issues with the Classics. Clean, dependable, lots of seats. They have been around since the early 80s and we are finally coming to the end of their service in the region. I can't believe only 5 remain, original STO or not.

I do miss the Nova RTS buses. I was fortunate to have ridden a few back in 2012-2013 ish, but I had long wanted to ride them prior to that.

I think the RTSs were retired because they had Detroit Diesel S50 engines in them. As no other buses had that engine except for the eight oddball 1996-1997 Nova Classics (which retired in 2013-2014), they were likely retired to simplify maintenance.

The 1996-1997 Classics also had severe body rust issues (some were already rebuilt in 2003!) so that was also a factor in their retirement. By contrast, some 1994-1995 Classics had rebuilds done in 2006, and again in 2014 when 9512 and 9519 got the new STO logo applied similar to the ex-Calgary Classics.

Edited by OC Transpo/STO Fan