What happens when you add stations or trains?

In recent days, we've discussed the 12-day trial period that the system must successfully go through before being open to the public.

My assumption is that it means 12 days of complete service simulation, from the moment service begins in the morning to the moment it ends at night.

That's what is sounds like to me.

If it is in fact the case,  does anyone know how the tests will be performed when will come the time to add new stations and trains?

Of course you can run tests on the portion that's not open yet all day long and on the entire line at night.

However, how do you simulate (other than at night) the conditions for a full day on the entire line?

The closest example might be Montréal where they have added stations almost every decade since the Métro opened in 1966.

The fleet of vehicles has also evolved and Azur trains are now rolling in the tunnels. And by the way, I have seen them on YouTube and they look great.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There shouldn't be a need for such extensive testing before adding an addition to the system - only for testing on the addition, plus some overnight testing of run-throughs. Adding to a system, u

Thanks for your reply. I never stop learning on this Forum. It's great!  

In Montreal when the Azur were being tested, they were running them in between two scheduled trains. The Azur would stop at stations but the doors would remain closed and signed in the windows would i

There shouldn't be a need for such extensive testing before adding an addition to the system - only for testing on the addition, plus some overnight testing of run-throughs.

Adding to a system, using the same technology, doesn't pose nearly the same integration problems as launching a new system.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, James said:

There shouldn't be a need for such extensive testing before adding an addition to the system - only for testing on the addition, plus some overnight testing of run-throughs. 

Adding to a system, using the same technology, doesn't pose nearly the same integration problems as launching a new system.

Thanks for your reply. I never stop learning on this Forum. It's great!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

In Montreal when the Azur were being tested, they were running them in between two scheduled trains. The Azur would stop at stations but the doors would remain closed and signed in the windows would indicate it was being tested.

I would expect a similar scenario would occur in Ottawa once the line is open and new trains are tested and commissioned.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shane said:

In Montreal when the Azur were being tested, they were running them in between two scheduled trains. The Azur would stop at stations but the doors would remain closed and signed in the windows would indicate it was being tested.

I would expect a similar scenario would occur in Ottawa once the line is open and new trains are tested and commissioned.

Also, to add to this, Montreal used this approach as no additional rails were added. In the case of Ottawa, as the alignment east and west is constructed, and the Moodie LMSF is built, trains will be able to work west of Tunney's without interrupting the service, as there is more than enough gaps in the frequency to allow additional trains.

• 1 month later...

Wasn't sure where to post these questions. This seems like a good spot:

1. Has the City ever mentioned what kind of frequency can be achieved with he 72 trains once Stage 2 (S2) is in operation?
  2. How many of those trains will be in operation at once (S2 rush-hour) and how many are "spares"?
  3. Will the S2 trains, a few already built and all will be ready well before any of the S2 Line 1 legs open, be used in regular rotation during the S1 operations or will they be parked until testing begins on S2 East in 2022-23?
  4. Will we be able to increase S1 service (frequency) using some of the S2 units or are we stuck with 15 doubles until 2024?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, J.OT13 said:

Has the City ever mentioned what kind of frequency can be achieved with he 72 trains once Stage 2 (S2) is in operation?

The FAQ has some answers on that, although the Stage 2 team never gave any specific frequencies.