O-Train - Service Interruptions

Shane

29 minutes ago, Shane said:

New update has been released just now:

On our St-Laurent station page (https://www.otrainfans.ca/confederation-stations/st-laurent) it is clear in the photos that the catenary is a rigid catenary and not a suspended wire like it is elsewhere outdoors. Still unclear what the wire being shown in the picture is from.

Good Day.

Pure hypothesis..... that the train snagged the cat wire just prior to entering the station and it's cat solid rail, and pulled a length into the station with it ?

Whatever it may be, this is a major 'snag' !    I have to think it will take awhile to fix - like probably the rest of today and the maint period overnight.

EnJoy!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(I posted this once my my cell, but it didn't seem to go through) Yep.  I took the pic at 13:25. Trains were held for about 10 min. Guy jumped the turnstile as I was entering from the Rideau

Previously when a train was disabled due to a door that couldn’t be closed and disabled , the CBTC control system needed to be bypassed which resulted in massive delays while the train was returned to

Spotted a real wacko today.... He seems to be in Jedi mode also. Called  911, he was arrested.   VID_20190925_132829_01_01.mp4

Posted Images

CBC Ottawa livestreamed the press conference on their facebook page. You can find it here : https://www.facebook.com/CBCOttawa/videos/1376561322526025/

Peter Lauch says the running theory is that the pantograph of the train might have snagged the catenary wire at the transition point where it changes from flexible wire to rigid. He also said that passengers on the train "wouldn't have been the wiser" as the trains are equipped with battery backup power for 90 minutes, so the lights would have stayed on and the doors would have opened. What is not clear is if the battery backup power can power the traction motors to move the train even at a low or crawl speed to the station. If the pantograph snagged the wire at the entrances of the station tunnel, depending on which direction it was coming from, it would either have needed to slow down or continue at low speed to the platform to disembark passengers then assess the situation.

80 metres of wire fell.

The rigid catenary is actually a metal beam with a wire on the underside. So that would explain where the wire that was damaged came from.

Not the best scenario for the O-Train to experience but seemingly a good "test" that the train can get people off and not immobilize before reaching the platform in such an incident. So that is good to know.

Also it was noted that when the system detected a problem or fluctuation, the power was cut and the system de-energized, so the loose wire was not a risk or live.

The plan now is to move the vehicles. There are two trains coupled together, one has the pantograph that is inoperable as the wire is down, but the other vehicle's pantograph is able to reach intact wire and receive power. Once the area is re-energized, they will raise that pantograph and use that train to pull the other train out of the station to clear space to effectuate the repairs.

This seems to bring us new information on the capabilities of the trains in that one single train can push or pull another single.

More details to come I'm sure.

58 minutes ago, PHrenetic said:

Good Day.

Pure hypothesis..... that the train snagged the cat wire just prior to entering the station and it's cat solid rail, and pulled a length into the station with it ?

Whatever it may be, this is a major 'snag' !    I have to think it will take awhile to fix - like probably the rest of today and the maint period overnight.

EnJoy!

Good Day.

I seem to have been borne out :

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-lrt-confederation-line-wire-broken-1.5429328

LRT could be halted until Friday

CBC News · Posted: Jan 16, 2020 12:45 PM ET | Last Updated: a few seconds ago

Quote At around 10:50 a.m., the wire broke and apparently fell onto a train as it entered St-Laurent station, said Troy Charter, the City of Ottawa's director of transit operations, at a press conference Thursday afternoon.

EnJoy!

New update:

Update: Stopped train on O-Train Line 1 at St-Laurent Station - UPDATE 4  (5:27pm)

The train at St. Laurent Station has been moved away from the affected area and returned to the maintenance facility. Crews are now inspecting and assessing the extent of the damage and the scope of repair work. The current service plan will remain in effect for the rest of the day and evening.

Currently, we are experiencing heavy volumes at Hurdman Station. Buses are and will continue to provide frequent service.

At this time, we do not have an estimated time for full-service restoration.

Service plans are in development for Friday morning's commute to provide the best service possible for customers depending on the state of repairs and readiness by RTG.

The next update will be provided at approximately 9:30 pm.

Thank you,

John Manconi

General Manager, Transportation Services Department

Good Day.   Furthur from CTV News Ottawa......

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/lrt-service-could-be-disrupted-until-friday-1.4770368

Quote :

Officials said Friday ((sic)) that 80 metres of wire was pulled down just before 11 a.m. on Thursday.

Peter Lauch, the head of Rideau Transit Group and Rideau Transit Maintenance, is apologizing for the disruption and says they are still working to find out exactly how the wire broke. Crews are working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

"The system actually did what it's supposed to do," Lauch said. "As soon as the event happened, power was de-energized and there was no live power anywhere. The doors opened under battery power."

Lauch said Thursday afternoon that crews had removed the wire. The stalled train was moved out of the way late Thursday afternoon.

UnQuote.

EnJoy!

Edited by PHrenetic
Memo : O-Train Line 1 - Update ( January 20, 2020 )

This past weekend on Saturday and Sunday, OC Transpo was required to implement R1 replacement bus service in response to RTM issues with track switches and switch heaters on O-Train Line 1.

This morning, RTM ran service with 11 of the 13 required trains. Towards the end of the morning peak period, 2 additional trains were removed from service due to technical reasons (compressor fault and a wheel issue).

RTM has advised the City that they will be running service with 10 trains instead of the required 13. Trains will be operating approximately every 5 minutes for the afternoon peak. Customer should expect longer wait times than normal by approximately 1 minute and should expect approximately 20% more people than normal on platforms and on trains.

The Mayor and the Chair, the City Manager and I have met with the CEOs of the RTG/RTM consortium to get briefed on what the issues are and demand that the issues with the trains and track be immediately rectified. We expect them to take appropriate measures to reduce the occurrence of issues on Line 1 so that we may provide reliable and safe transit services to all customers.

Customers will receive regular updates on service through all of OC Transpo's information channels, including social media.

For tomorrow morning's commute, OC Transpo is examining using the fleet of R1 standby buses to augment rail service. More information will be available as soon as plans are finalised. Visit octranspo.com or follow @OC_Transpo for updates.

The City continues to hold Rideau Transit Group (RTG) and Rideau Transit Maintenance (RTM) to account for ongoing O-Train Line 1 maintenance issues. City staff are in regular communication with RTG and RTM to put pressure on them to get the job done and to live up to the standards expected by our transit customers.

John Manconi

General Manager, Transportation Services Department

Source : City of Ottawa

----

Allan Hubley announced that there will be a special Transit Commission meeting, on Thursday January 23rd at 2pm in Champlain Room. The agenda for this meeting will be solely to give an update regarding the status of LRT.

At what point can the city fire RTG/RTM for incompetence and take over operations themselves or hire a company that is able to run the system properly? It is scary to think this company has a 30 year contract to run this system.

Edited by Jim Henry
  • Like 1

O-Train Line 1

Service alert for Wednesday morning.   Using Albert/Slater Transitway, not Queen St.  Apparently only 10 double trains operational and overcrowded Tuesday evening peak..

Routes: 1 O-Train

Date effective: January 20, 2020

In anticipation of a continuing shortage of trains on O-Train Line 1 during peak periods tomorrow, OC Transpo will be operating supplementary bus service to provide some additional capacity at the busiest times.

In the morning, from 7:30 until 9:00 a.m., special buses will leave from Hurdman Station and from Tunney’s Pasture Station, will operate non-stop to downtown, and will drop off customers at bus stops on Albert Street (buses from Hurdman) and on Slater Street (buses from Tunney’s Pasture).

In the afternoon, from 3:00 until 5:30 p.m., special buses will leave from Albert Street just west of O’Connor, near Parliament Station, non-stop to both Hurdman and Tunney’s Pasture Stations.

OC Transpo staff will be on site at the start points of these special bus services to assist customers.

By operating buses non-stop over these busy sections of the corridor, more space will be made available for customers travelling on trains to and from other stations along the line.

The costs of this service will be added to the charges being passed on to RTG.

19 hours ago, Jim Henry said:

At what point can the city fire RTG/RTM for incompetence and take over operations themselves or hire a company that is able to run the system properly? It is scary to think this company has a 30 year contract to run this system.

This question has been asked in the past in a manner of speaking at FEDCO or the Transit Commission meetings (not sure which if not both). The answer was having to do with the availability of the expertise and resources by willing proponents that would be interested in stepping in to take over, not to mention at what cost.

What we have going for us now is that the maintenance is a fixed monthly price. If performance is not met in regards to service, those monthly payments are not paid. It has also been stated that RTM can not later claim them or go after them. If they don't get paid one month, that payment is lost to RTM. I believe since the line opened, they have not received any payments from what I recall from what I heard from the past FEDCO / Transit Commission meetings.

• Like 1

O-Train Line – Update 3 (January 21, 2020) - 1:58pm

RTG has advised us that they will be providing 10 of 13 vehicles required for afternoon rush hour. The bus supplement plan communicated last evening that was implemented today will proceed as part of afternoon rush hour to assist our customers. Information updates to customers are continuing.

4 hours ago, Shane said:

This question has been asked in the past in a manner of speaking at FEDCO or the Transit Commission meetings (not sure which if not both). The answer was having to do with the availability of the expertise and resources by willing proponents that would be interested in stepping in to take over, not to mention at what cost.

What we have going for us now is that the maintenance is a fixed monthly price. If performance is not met in regards to service, those monthly payments are not paid. It has also been stated that RTM can not later claim them or go after them. If they don't get paid one month, that payment is lost to RTM. I believe since the line opened, they have not received any payments from what I recall from what I heard from the past FEDCO / Transit Commission meetings.

Well that can't go on indefinitely, RTM will eventually go bankrupt if they never get paid. 

The system has been so unreliable over the last few days that OCTranspo  might as well have RTM shut down the confederation line and go back to the pre Oct. 6, 2019 bus schedule until the train is able to function properly. From what I understand at one point early this morning there were only 8 trains running and they manged to get it up to 9 of them, that is ridiculous, even with 13 trains the system is bursting at the seams during peak, there really needs to be 15 trains during peak. If the system wasn't so heavily used these problems might be bearable but thousands of people are dependent on OCTranspo to get to and from work every day and I can't imagine people continuing to put up with this terrible service, many have likely already given up on OCTranspo for good and gone back to driving to work, but that isn't an option for some users.

I for one am very glad I am not dependent on OCTranspo and the train to get to work every day.

Edited by Jim Henry
typo

I agree. A company or organization can't survive indefinitely without being paid. Add to that the reports in the media of how their sub-contractors haven't been paid in full as well for the past work done.

Not a pretty picture for all involved. And now the lack of performance and reliability continues to hit them with non-payments from the city.

I don't know about RTG/RTM but I wouldn't last long in that scenario. Either get your stuff together or let us know so we can find someone else who will. You'd think that if what we are hearing in the media about RTM not doing the work required or managing it properly, ultimately resulting in them not being paid, would be incentive enough to get to work to start earning money they are promised. Sounds simple but there's probably more to it than we know at this moment. Hopefully we will learn more at the Transit Commission meeting tomorrow at 2pm.

Ultimately as the system is new and the city has never had such infrastructure before, it makes sense to have experts and companies that specialize in this type of work to maintain it initially. While the contract is for 30 years, perhaps somewhere around that time, the city or OC Transpo would take the maintenance in house, much like Montreal does for the Metro, and I'm sure many other cities (if not most) do as well.

As we progress through the issues, I am becoming increasingly conflicted.

I want to believe RTG / RTM can ultimately resolve the issues, as it would result in reliable service and ideally less disruption. However, progress is almost inexistent at this point. To run with 9 - 10 trains, out of an expected available fleet of 17 pairs, is highlighting major deficiencies. Who is to blame for such low fleet availability remains to be known, but it is far from the level of service expected and promoted by RTG and the city. We have had excellent days, and disastrous one. Ironically, it is not the weather that is killing the trains: it is everything else.

As for bringing the expertise "in house", it seems like a complex issue to me. Of course it removes the intermediary, and a direct, more influenceable line of command. OC might not be my favourite organization, but it is definitely more accountable than RTG has been, even with all the funds withheld. I am curious to know how much money RTG has left in the bank (which likely came from "optimizations" during construction as not a single maintenance payment has been made), but I do not expect it to allow them to keep going for another year like this.

I am also not sure how practical (and possible for that matter) it is to return to pre-LRT bus schedules and service, but if we get to the point where RTG defaults and the city or another group takes over maintenance, we might see a need to stop service for the transition period.

• Like 1

O-Train Line 1 Update: January 26, 2020

Sent on behalf of John Manconi, General Manager, Transportation Services Department

As advised earlier this evening, RTM has advised that they anticipate Monday morning’s commute will likely be impacted by the vehicle power challenges experienced over the weekend.

As we expect O-Train Line 1 to be operating with fewer trains on Monday for the morning and afternoon peak periods, providing less capacity than normal, we have made the following arrangements for service.

These service arrangements will support customers’ travel needs by providing additional travel options and by reducing the likelihood of customers being left behind at stations and having to wait for multiple trains until there is space for them to board.

Buses will also be in position to replace train service if there is a major interruption to train service.

In the morning peak, special bus service will run directly to downtown on three routes:

From Tunney’s Pasture Station non-stop to downtown, stopping at bus stops along Slater Street and Mackenzie King Bridge

From Hurdman Station non-stop to downtown, stopping at bus stops along Mackenzie King Bridge and Albert Street.

NEW - From Blair Station non-stop to downtown, stopping at bus stops along Mackenzie King Bridge and Albert Street.

In the afternoon peak, special bus service will run from downtown on two routes:

From Albert Street at Bank, non-stop to Tunney’s Pasture Station

EXTENDED - From Albert Street west of O’Connor, stopping only at Hurdman Station and Blair Station.

The buses operating on the special service will also be ready in case of a major service interruption on Line 1. If R1 replacement bus service needs to be implemented because of a major interruption on part of the line, the special service will be suspended. By having buses operating on special services at all of Tunney’s Pasture, Hurdman, and Blair Stations, the buses will be in place and ready to be deployed by our team in the transit operations control centre if there is a requirement to do so.

These services will operate primarily using the fleet of buses that are designated for R1 replacement bus service and that were previously standing by and were providing the special bus service last week. To supplement those buses tomorrow, additional buses will be made available by assigning operators who have agreed to work additional overtime and by making targeted and temporary reductions on higher-frequency routes across the system, selected to minimize the impact on customers.

Approximately 50 bus trips will be cancelled for the morning peak tomorrow, primarily on higher-frequency routes and spread across the entire system. Most of these trips operate with double-decker and articulated buses, and their extra capacity will support customers who normally travel by train. Details of the specific trips that will be cancelled will be provided on octranspo.com, and alerts through all channels will direct customers to check their routes and trips. These trips represent approximately two percent of the bus trips operated every morning; the other 98 percent of trips will not be affected by this reallocation.

For the afternoon peak, approximately 75 bus trips will be cancelled. These trips represent approximately three to four percent of the bus trips operated every afternoon, and the remaining 96 percent will not be affected.

Customers may experience longer travel and wait times and platforms and trains may be more crowded. OC Transpo staff, including the red-vested O-Train Ambassadors, will continue to be on-site to assist and direct customers. We thank customers for their patience as we work with RTG to resolve the issue.

Our service plans for Tuesday will be based on an updated forecast of train availability and on operational feedback and experience.

Information is being shared with customers through all regular communication channels, including octranspo.com and @OCTranspoLive.

@Shane It's great to see the detailed update, it will definitely be helpful for tomorrow morning. It seems like they have managed to put in place a plan that will minimize the issues during the commute. 

For the afternoon, how come the Tunney's buses don't start on the Mackenzie King bridge? And also, how come the eastbound buses start at Albert/O'Connor and not on Slater?