Parking recommendations

So I'm planning a trip into town to try out the new LRT. Hopefully, it still has that 'new train' smell.

I'm coming from Chelsea QC by car. My original plan was to drive to Blair station and go the full route to Tunney's and back. However, a little research indicates that I'm going to have a difficult time finding a place to park around Blair station. Gloucester Centre has a nice big parking lot right there but they rightfully want to reserve that space for mall customers. I imagine a lot of train users go there, but I don't want to risk being the one guy that gets towed away. My dear wife would not be impressed. The Park 'n Ride lot is reserved for Gold members and it's a long walk. I checked the OC Transpo website. I was on hold for 34 minutes on the OC Transpo Info line, and gave up. So I ask you, my fellow transit enthusiasts: for a round-trip O-Train journey on a Saturday afternoon, where would be the best place to park legally, free and safe (ie. not Rideau area lol) for an hour or two? Other park n rides? Street parking? Flying unicorn? Thanks!

Edited by David O'Train
A better title and improved description
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a small park and ride lot across on the other side of the highway by Blair Station. It's an option if you want to be on the safe side. You can use the pedestrian overpass to directly connect

No problem! There is a much bigger lot at South Keys as well; through the Trillium (2) Line at Greenboro Station, you can reach Bayview and transfer directly to the LRT. It would come down to your con

There is also a  small city parking lot at 234 Slater downtown that is free on the weekends, which is only a couple of blocks from Parliament station, fairly close to Lyon station as well.

Posted Images

I often see people park in the Tunney's pasture government employee lots or on the street on the weekends. I don't know how much enforcement there is though on weekends for ticketing people who don't pay for parking, but there are machines where you can purchase parking passes if you are worried about getting a ticket. On opening weekend I  parked at Remic Rapids and walked from there but you have indicated you don't want to have to walk a long distance so that likely isn't an option for you.

Edited by Jim Henry

Thanks, Jim. Tunney's could be the answer.
My dear wife has agreed to come along, so I'm trying to keep it simple and straightforward. Bonus: If the weather forecast is accurate, it's going to be raining tomorrow.
If I parked at Remic, the conversation would go something like this:
Me: There's nowhere to park anywhere around the station so we're parking here. It's a bit of a walk but that'll be good for us. You could use ... I mean WE could use a bit of exercise, it's good for you.
Her: None for you tonight.

Edited by David O'Train

There is a small park and ride lot across on the other side of the highway by Blair Station. It's an option if you want to be on the safe side. You can use the pedestrian overpass to directly connect with the LRT.image.png.8c5e7c624851e0fda7ff1bbea6d74f60.png

It's fairly small, but it doesn't seem to get used quite often; this was it on September 14th (1st day of revenue service):

DSC03710.JPG

Edited by Nik
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Nik. That's another possibility. I found a good conversation on Reddit about parking around Blair and I guess I had written this lot off because of distance and it fills up before 7 on weekdays. But I'm going on a Saturday so hopefully it would look more like your image above. I wonder if those other closer lots are available on weekends, but I don't want to find out the hard way. Thanks for the images.

13 minutes ago, David O'Train said:

Thanks, Nik. That's another possibility. I found a good conversation on Reddit about parking around Blair and I guess I had written this lot off because of distance and it fills up before 7 on weekdays. But I'm going on a Saturday so hopefully it would look more like your image above. I wonder if those other closer lots are available on weekends, but I don't want to find out the hard way. Thanks for the images.

No problem! There is a much bigger lot at South Keys as well; through the Trillium (2) Line at Greenboro Station, you can reach Bayview and transfer directly to the LRT. It would come down to your convenience since you're coming from Chelsea, as this park and ride is situated in Old Ottawa South.

image.png.1758ddcb06a78e8ab8ef031334992235.png

Edited by Nik
  • Thanks 1

Another option is the underground parking at the World Exchange Plaza ( free on weekends ). Parliament Station is less than half a block away from there.  Only risk is it being full when you arrive but worth a shot. 

• Thanks 1

You can park forever at St Laurent Mall, they have forever parking especially to the West side of the mall where all the mall employees park.

I plan on trying to get some more train names/numbers ridden on Saturday, if anyone wants to Meetup..let's do it.

• Thanks 1