General OC Transpo and Ottawa transit news

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi folks. I've been keeping an eye on the new Line 2 names, and I've finally collected the whole set: C4: Northern Lights • Aurore Boréale C5: Nanuq • Polar Bear • Ours Polaire C6: Emil

Not sure where else to put this, but the coaches from the Wakefield Steam Train have been scrapped. https://www.facebook.com/LostOttawa/posts/2249492811816597

Thanks @sherlockholmium. I'll add those to the Coradia LINT page shortly. Welcome to the site!

Posted Images

Keep your bike safe with the Bikesecure parking program

Image - Keep your bike safe with the Bikesecure parking program

On January 1, register to keep your bike safe with OC Transpo's new Bikesecure parking program! This program provides customers with a reserved parking spot in a shelter that protects their bikes against theft, vandalism and bad weather. These shelters are secured with glass walls, a door, and 24-hour video surveillance. Customers can unlock the shelter to access their bikes 24/7 using the key fob they receive after registering.

Don't worry! Free bike parking is still available at most O-Train Line 1 stations, and at over 30 Transitway locations.

Locations

Bikesecure will offer secure bike parking at Greenboro, Strandherd, St-Laurent, and Fallowfield Stations.

Bikesecure_St-LaurentShelter.jpg

Locations of Bikesecure shelters and numbers of bike parking spots at each station

Greenboro - 12

Strandherd - 12

St-Laurent - 16

Fallowfield - 12

How to register

Starting January 1st 2021, you can register for a Bikesecure parking spot by calling 613-842-3777. You will need to give the make, model, colour and serial number (if applicable) of your bike(s). You must be 18 years or older to register for Bikesecure.

Please note that your registration will only give you access to one parking spot in a specific shelter. Only one bike can be parked in your spot at a time, but you can register up to three bikes for your spot.

Once you've registered, you'll receive a welcome package in the mail which includes:

• One key fob
  • Three bike tags
  • Instructions for using Bikesecure shelters
  • A map showing the location of your shelter
  • The terms and conditions of your registration

Make sure to register before the 20th of the month if you want to start using Bikesecure on the 1st of the next month. This allows time for your welcome package to arrive in the mail.

Pricing

Similar to our Park & Ride program, there is a small monthly fee for each Bikesecure parking spot. There is also a one-time fee for the key fob that unlocks the shelter.

Key fob - $6

Reserved parking spot - $10.00/month

You can pay for your Bikesecure parking spot with the following payment options:

• Visa
  • Mastercard
  • American Express
  • Visa Debit
  • Matercard Debit

Monthly payments will be charged to you automatically until you cancel them.

FAQ and website - https://www.octranspo.com/en/news/article/bikesecure/

Although this is a great initiative, it pales in comparison to Vancouver's bike parkades with capacity for 45 bikes and services such as repair stands and air pumps. TransLink has 11 of these and seem to be expanding the program. 

They also have bike lockers (individual lockers) at around 30 stations. 

https://www.translink.ca/rider-guide/bike-parking

I'm hoping the program expands in Ottawa to include more urban stations where biking is more common. The stretch from Tunney's to Lincoln Fields would get very high usage I'm sure. 

And if we're charging for the secure bike parking, I would like the city to start charging for park-and-rides, beyond the gold passes. Even $1 a day or $15-$20 a month would go a long way. The vast parking lots require far more capital and maintenance funds than the small bike lockers. 

Bike parkades are $1 a day, maximum $8 a month, while lockers are $10 a month. 

Edited by J.OT13
23 hours ago, J.OT13 said:

And if we're charging for the secure bike parking, I would like the city to start charging for park-and-rides, beyond the gold passes.

Both parking of bikes and cars have free and paid tiers. Maybe gold permit pass holders should have a cozy sheltered parking space? After all, the paid tier of a gold permit vs paid bike parking many times more expensive for the reasons you mentioned below (road repair).

Charging for any parking, car or bike, is not a good way to incentivize anyone to mix up their commute. Imagine paying X amount/month for a car or bike, then have to pay for parking, and then have to pay bus fare for a system not even good thanks things like "optimization" and RTG's terrible start to Line 1 and what not. It'd be a huge turn off. I own and use a bike (not now - winter) and a car (just recently).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...