Shane

Parliament

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for behind the scenes looks and video content : www.youtube.com/railfans

David Bellerive was asking what happened to Douglas Coupland's deconstructed provincials flags at Parliament Station. 

paliament.jpg?cb=48120572e31e460eb4da15c

Well, it seems Douglas Coupland instead completed the ceiling art work.

douglas_coupland.jpg?itok=DVJXjwNH
https://ottawa.ca/en/residents/transportation-and-parking/oc-transpo-and-public-transit/o-train-confederation-line

Why the change, I don't know. But the new work seems much more expansive than the previous proposal, so can't complain!

Speaking of ceilings, I took a moment to observe the paneling at Lyon Station's concourse and it's true; looks much better in person.

• Like 2

I wasn’t aware it is the same artist who designed both. Personally I liked the flags deconstruction has it really emphasizes the “Parliament” and Canadian aspect of the city.

The ceiling installation looks really good too, and is a deconstruction and abstraction of a certain painting (the name which I fail to remember right now). It is all explained at the Rideau Station gallery, so I might try to snag a picture of it next time I am there.

Just now, DavidBellerive said:

of a certain painting

The Jack Pine by Tom Thomson (happened to pass through Rideau today, though I didn't take a picture).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was some plans initially for the station to be connected / integrated into the World Exchange Plaza if I am not mistaken. Over time, it became clear that the configuration of the parking garage / loading dock ramp driveway underground layout would make such a connection very difficult to achieve.

I still wish it was connected. The WEP to me is more of a hub building downtown than the Sunlife Financial Centre.

Looking at the situation now with the station open, the current concourse configuration doesn't lend itself to allow for a future connection to the WEP. If we use the stairs/escalators as a reference point from Queen/O'Connor entrance, they are almost at the limit and right in line with the fare gates. As such, the WEP being even farther over would end up in the fare paid zone, and not the public concourse area that connects to the other buildings.

I do know that there was plans for break away walls or rough ins to allow future connections, perhaps the recessed space granted by the escalators being moved further back than the stairs would allow a connection... but I don't see it as large enough. Alternatively the far end of the concourse level in the fare paid zone, between the far stairs that reach platform level, could be a possible future connection in...  If you look into the tunnel underneath, the supports are there, which could suggest a potential for more connections at the far ends... then again, they appear to be storage rooms for station maintenance.

I guess we will see over time. I do hope we see an underground city of sorts, like Montreal's RESO in Ottawa one day. We are off to a good start, lets hope things continue. 

• Like 1

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring it out how any of the downtown stations can be plugged into additional buildings. While in Montréal, Métro station concourses seem to be at the same level as the Réso, simplifying connection, ours seem much deeper which necessitates more vertical circulation. And since most of our downtown is already fully built-up with deep parking garages, it's much harder to figure out the engineering puzzle of direct connection. Both Montréal and Toronto built their subways before (or during) modern skyscrapers went up.

The only true opportunity we had to link a building built after Line 1 was Claridge Moon, but they've decided against it (as the case might be, the City may not have build-in the possibility). I understand security concerns with residential, though it's not insurmountable. If the hotel component (which is still up in the air) were to be built over the station entrance, then we would not have an issue. Even a grocery store could and should be connected.

As for the WEP's potential for connection, I could still see that happen. The Albert Street level is lower than the Queen Street level, so ground level on Albert is one level underground at Queen. Where the TD Bank is currently situated, we could build a short path under the sidewalk and have stairs, escalators and elevators (with just two currently, more would be desirable) down to the concourse level. WEP would need its own set of fare gates, so the east paid fare zone in the concourse would have fare gates on both sides. 

Do we have a underground city thread on the O-Train Fans forum where this post might be more appropriate?

On 2019-10-12 at 8:30 PM, Shane said:

There was some plans initially for the station to be connected / integrated into the World Exchange Plaza if I am not mistaken. Over time, it became clear that the configuration of the parking garage / loading dock ramp driveway underground layout would make such a connection very difficult to achieve.

I still wish it was connected. The WEP to me is more of a hub building downtown than the Sunlife Financial Centre.

Looking at the situation now with the station open, the current concourse configuration doesn't lend itself to allow for a future connection to the WEP. If we use the stairs/escalators as a reference point from Queen/O'Connor entrance, they are almost at the limit and right in line with the fare gates. As such, the WEP being even farther over would end up in the fare paid zone, and not the public concourse area that connects to the other buildings.

I do know that there was plans for break away walls or rough ins to allow future connections, perhaps the recessed space granted by the escalators being moved further back than the stairs would allow a connection... but I don't see it as large enough. Alternatively the far end of the concourse level in the fare paid zone, between the far stairs that reach platform level, could be a possible future connection in...  If you look into the tunnel underneath, the supports are there, which could suggest a potential for more connections at the far ends... then again, they appear to be storage rooms for station maintenance.

I guess we will see over time. I do hope we see an underground city of sorts, like Montreal's RESO in Ottawa one day. We are off to a good start, lets hope things continue. 

The issue of a connection from Parliament Station to the World Exchange Plaza (WEP) also interests me very much. I mentioned elsewhere that one can still find online 2012 references to 5 City/Adjacent Owner memoranda of understanding. The other Adjacent Owners would be the Rideau Center, Sun Life, Place de Ville and Heritage Place. Today these 4 are linked to downtown stations. The WEP is the 5th Adjacent Owner who undertook negotiations with the City. From a close examination of the siting of Parliament Station, it would seem that negotiations between the City and WEP were at an advanced enough stage to have influenced the placement along Queen St., and mezzanine design, but subsequently were shelved.

City negotiations with WEP that are still available reference the WEP entrance as primary whereas the Heritage entrance is identified as a potential or secondary option. I'm no engineer but I can measure distance and I've done so at the station platform, the mezzanine platform, and at the street level. The long double escalator and stairway shaft connecting the mezzanine to the Winners level is pretty much directly under O'Connor St.  Again by my measure, the distance between the easternmost wall of the temporary staff area at the eastern end of the mezzanine and the wall on the next level up the long escalator with the Winners sign is 52m/170ft. Beneath Queen St. the station's mezzanine runs to just about 3m/11ft east of where the sidewalk tunnel venting grille begins on the south side of Queen. This grille is in the newly widened sidewalk in front of the WEP and underneath the wide sidewalk overhang installed above the WEP's entry level. I plan further research but I would speculate that the double venting from the tunnel to the street east of O'Connor could reflect earlier intentions for a second double elevator shaft to the street east of O'Connor. The City has always stated that Parliament would/will be the busiest station in the system and it's the only underground platform already built out to the full 120m/400ft. (I've measured the platforms at Lyon, Parliament and Rideau). Yet Parliament only has 2 elevators to the street from mezzanine whereas both Rideau and Lyon have 4. The memoranda are secret documents so it's difficult to know the details in the WEP negotiations but all in all it would seem that 2 elevators somehow got dropped from the busiest station. In any case, the easternmost end of the Parliament mezzanine is more than far enough to the east of WEP's parking ramps so that access could be provided--and I strongly suspect that the design of the station mezzanine reflects this earlier thinking. A second easterly elevator connection to the street (needed) would be possible. At this point, connecting the mezzanine to the WEP directly would either mean an entry through the first level parking garage or some accommodation with the TD Bank's current spatial configuration. It really should be done. It's almost all there. Unfortunately, perhaps, this would also mean separate fare gates toward the eastern end of the built-out mezzanine. But perhaps a price worth paying for connection to WEP and the winter shelter its interior walkways could offer transit riders coming from the south

Edited by TransitDaddy
Greater detail
  • Like 1

Lots of detail here. Very disappointing it never happened. Was it to come directly inside the WEP? The early sketches showed an entrance building at the corner of the TD Bank (more or less similar to the one with the elevators).

On 2020-02-26 at 3:58 PM, Shane said:

Lots of detail here. Very disappointing it never happened. Was it to come directly inside the WEP? The early sketches showed an entrance building at the corner of the TD Bank (more or less similar to the one with the elevators).

Apologies for the lengthy delay in reply. I doubt it was to ever come inside the WEP--the below/above grade of the WEP in relation to Queen Street, the difficulties with the TD bank space, etc. As mentioned, directly outside the WEP entry onto Queen is a large grille, equal in square footage to the elevator bank shaft at O'Connor & Queen. If you are there after dark you can see down directly to the unfinished eastern end of the mezzanine level. Depending on how this would have been/could be configured, there is room for 2 or even 3 elevators to street level.

I also measured the square footage of the venting grilles installed at sidewalk level at each of the 3 underground stations. It figures that the deeper the station, the greater the overall diameter of venting shaft. That would mean Rideau would have the most venting grille work at street level, Parliament somewhat less and Lyon the least. Here's what I found: Rideau has two sets of grilles on either side of the street. The total square footage is 630 sq.ft. of grille. As noted, Lyon, the shallowest station, should have less need for grilling. And that's confirmed by the overall square footage total of 525 sq. ft. of grille. Parliament, deeper than Lyon but shallower than Rideau, should be somewhere in between. It has, however, 1,100 sq. ft. of (apparent) grille work at sidewalk level. Most is on the south side of Queen but there is a small (100 sq.ft.) grille on the north side of Queen/O'Connor. The easternmost set of grilles, which I suspect cover the shaftway (visible at night as it's lit from below but not enough to see down during daylight) in front of the WEP are 11x40 feet = 440 sq.ft (the current double elevators occupy a space of 12.5x30 feet). Deductng 440 from 1,100 = 660 sq.ft, approx. the same as at Rideau and somewhat more than at Lyon. So, yes, those early sketches, I believe, were more or less in line with what was proposed and the second elevator shaftway to Queen St. would have been roughly similar in look to the one at the corner of Queen & O'Connor

The double grill at O'Connor and Queen, next to the the Heritage Place entrance is above the existing stairs. It looks very sloppy IMO. 

Lyon seems to be the only station with straight forward ventilation shafts; one on each end of the station cavern, both the same size. I always imagined large fans at each end to suck smoke out of the station should there be a fire. Not really sure how that would work with the mess of various sized, randomly placed grills at Parliament and Rideau. 

• Like 1

The grilles at Parliament are a tad bizarre and, likely, the one on O'Connor that deals with the Heritage Place exit looks like it could be an add-on. The large grille in front of the Queen entrance to WEP, however/moreover, is exactly in the location where the glass elevator pavilion marked Parliament appears in the Citizen photo you uploaded. At Rideau there are only two grilles, pretty much equal in size, and one on each side of the street. I haven't examined the fan situation at Lyon but I have at Rideau and it appears the fans are mounted in the vent shafts. If you stand on the western end of the westbound platform I believe you can see the exhaust mechanisms in the shaft at the west end of the eastern platform. There would appear to be no such mechanisms installed in what I think to be the abandoned elevator shaft in front of WEP that now serves as a sort of passive chimney vent for the station below

The change from outside the WEP to the SunLife Financial was perhaps due to the integrated connectivity that was later negotiated and achieved with that building, or maybe even the fare paid zone in the station being at the ends of the concourse than across like Lyon.

Of all the underground stations, I do like the configuration of Parliament as it allows people to pass through without having to pay a fare, giving it a mini Montreal RESO feel to Ottawa. As I have said before, I would like to see more buildings connect into the stations, either with new passageway entrances to the concourse, or establishing connections through the existing integrated buildings to create a RESO or PATH network. I would assume over time this will happen but with most of the buildings in the immediate vicinity fairly recent, it may be some time for this to really evolve and happen.