Shane

Line 1 - Lyon

Condo-Moon.jpg.a1dbcaa0e35a46ed3bba1bc352d8c214.jpg

With the arrival of the Confederation Line and even more O-Train expansion over the coming years, it would be great to track some of the major transit related developments.

One of those is the Claridge Moon project, that will be bordered by Lyon, Albert and Queen Streets. Part of this development will be built over the standalone Lyon Station entrance kiosk building at the corner of Lyon and Queen.

https://claridgehomes.com/condos/claridge-moon

Already the formerly used land by Glue Pot Pub, Barbarella's Cabaret, among others has been cleared, paving the way for the Moon project to go forward.

The project will include two towers at 27 floors each, with a podium that will be built over and around the Lyon Station entrance.

The full site application can be found on the Ottawa city website here : https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/appDetails.jsf?lang=en&appId=__A74FV4

Let's track it's development over the coming years, which should be relatively easy due to its proximity to Lyon Station.

Subscribe to our YT channel for behind the scenes looks and video content on the O-Train : www.youtube.com/otrainfans

I actually had considered getting a unit inside the building! Unfortunately I never heard back from the sales team at the time, and my needs have changed since I don't know long term if I'll be in Ottawa. At the time I had requested a call-back when the price-list was available.

However, the building will surely be an excellent spot for commuting across the city.

Worthy of mention IMO: the building will not have an interconnection with the station: both will live and function independently.1913611544_ScreenShot2019-06-27at20_33_28.thumb.png.fc7fcf4c0432d71c9717d8e5923365e3.png

If my plans long-term change, might give the sales team another call see for the units. Looks like an excellent spot to live at: downtown, connected and modern!

• Like 2

How about that tall building going up near Carling stop on the Green line (sorry, that is the Chicago in me...)  Google maps still has it at only a few floors.  Anyone look at that building or the models?

image.png.7c85935640bebea6bbaef25a67635e36.png

and as a side note (to this already side note category....) when you look at google maps from this perspective and look at where the Trillium tracks go and the POW bridge in the back, and all the housing right behind that.  Its seems rather stupid not to use the POW bridge.  An entire part of the region would easily be able to commute to Ottawa avoiding the downtown Hull crush, and there is a straight shot to the Casio.  The growth opportunities are endless as well as the ease of eliminating me using my car/uber/taxi.   And with just a little forethought and planning, this line could be up and running very quickly.  I read the work needed to be done to "reopen" the bridge, and it sounds logical if you are running 200 car coal trains over it... but for 200 person Trillium trains...it would take a rail maintenance company a month to get it going again.  Build a few temporary stations with 2 tracks and while a larger plan is being implemented, trains could be run both ways easily (because I am so much smarter than everyone.... ? )   Back to my point, envisioning/seeing something in 3D makes you wonder what the planners are missing....

• Thanks 1

@Herlsone The building is the Claridge Icon, another set of condominiums.

Transit wise, nothing really note-worthy other than its proximity to the Carling station on Line 2. It will be the tallest condominium building in Ottawa, and already is quite imposing on the skyline. Personally I am quite a fan of its appearance, though I find the layout of the units to be quite "wasteful" given the "complex" form of the building.In addition to this building, there is other projects which have been given the go-ahead, which should be in similar height, some taller (The Sky it is called if I recall), creating a second skyline for Ottawa.

As for the work needed on the PoW bridge, I don't want to get too side-tracked but I think the issue is more than just the cost of "re-establishing" the bridge for rail operation. We discussed it in another topic, but given the layout at Bayview, I can see the lack of capacity or flexibility to increase it. Bayview would need to operate as a double platform all the time if PoW was restored. IMO, PoW should be widened to allow pedestrians and trains, in a similar manner to what was done to Alexandra Bridge with cars. It would be more expensive, but not kill any hopes of future connectivity.

• Like 1

I personally found the mezzanine level of Lyon Station a little confusing / disorienting as all opposite sides appear to be a mirror image of one another. I will need to look at this again to validate my first impression. 

• Like 1

On 2019-09-29 at 11:21 AM, Norman Bates said:

I personally found the mezzanine level of Lyon Station a little confusing / disorienting as all opposite sides appear to be a mirror image of one another. I will need to look at this again to validate my first impression. 

I do not fully disagree, and since Lyon is my main station for getting off and on with work, I can admit seeing it from that perspective makes sense. I do love it and how clean it is laid out nonetheless

b2ap3_large_IMG_1260.thumb.jpg.c6ed259d8cc31dd61245605527d11b5b.jpg

Residents and OC Transpo customers are advised that Claridge Homes is doing blasting work near Lyon Station that will cause loud noises and vibrations.

This planned work will take place on weekdays, between the hours of 7 am and 4 pm, from Friday, November 22 and will continue until April 2020.

The City of Ottawa and Rideau Transit Maintenance have reviewed Claridge's plan, which ensures blasting levels will not affect the structural integrity of Lyon Station.

For more information, please visit octranspo.com.

Source : City of Ottawa