Station Circulation

Thanks for following up. Whichever way they go, it will be important for the signage to guide people towards the right platform efficiently and not do something similar to what happens at Tunney's Pasture during rush-hour. If most of the traffic goes towards Algonquin vs Moodie, I guess it makes sense, otherwise it is resulting in a confusing layout. Nonetheless, I wish there was a second platform access on the opposite side to ease transfers from Moodie to DT and vice-versa. The stairs will get quite crowded in rush-hour if they come to the decision that for platform space it makes more sense to run Moodie on its own platform all the time.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I copy pasted my post from SSP and it looks a little wonky. The Stage 2 replay ends at "This is a concern on our type of system where we have low level platforms and it is a short step down to track l

I received clarification from the City of Ottawa's Stage 2 Team regarding the Lincoln Fields configuration. 

Lyon station's integration of double elevators on either end of the spacious, designed-for-the-future mezzanine level works very well. Like Lyon Station, Rideau station has double elevators from the s

Posted Images

They might need to place electronic boards so that the messaging can change with the service patterns. It will be important to lock the stairs and elevators to the Moodie shuttle platform when not in use. 

I'm hoping they never decide to use the side platform during regular hours. That would be worst case scenario in terms of passenger circulation. It's important that they make the centre platform wide enough to prevent overcrowding in the first place. 

Thank you for sharing that station layout graphic @J.OT13. Lincoln Fields seems to have changed from the earlier indications of it being 3 separated platforms, rather than the now current 2 side platforms plus a 3rd platform.

This new setup, is essentially the same type of configuration as on the Montreal Metro's Henri Bourassa station. Here, the main orange line passes through on the typical 2 side platforms, while the Laval extension enters the 3rd platform (accessed to the side... separated by relatively short hallways). The idea was that in peak periods in the afternoon, every second train would terminate at Henri Bourassa and then turn around to head back towards Cote Vertu. The other trains would switch over to the 3rd platform, and would offer service into the 3 Laval stations.

Of course, our use at Lincoln Fields would be different but still, we can draw on the similarities, and the station layout / configuration.

• 5 months later...

Funds have been earmarked to improve canopies at Blair and Tunney's, along with new double elevators at Blair, but any word on the additional set of stairs that was proposed for Blair, from the train platform to the bus platform using an existing service corridor? 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I'll make some general comments on the newly released station layouts on GeoOttawa. 

Bayview: I'm even more confused with the east platform. Based on the end of the tracks, it looks like a ditch or a slope, so how will people get around? I realize that platform will seldom be used, but I hope they have a plan for a proper connection to the Confederation Line platform and its own set of fare gates in the future. 

Corso Italia: pretty much what I expected, so no comments. I wish the platform was under Gladstone with entrances on both sides. 

Dow's Lake: the platform will remain relatively far from Carling. I hope that they will replace the Carling bridge, widen the trench, double track to the Dow's Lake tunnel and move the platform under Carling in the near future. The new Civic seems to be a good excuse to do so. 

Carleton: Wider underpass should improve circulation. Not much else to say.

Mooney's Bay: Once again, not much to say. 

Walkley: Very far from Walkley. I assume this may be to facilitate the replacement of the Walkley bridge in the future without affecting operations, which could also be the case with Dow's Lake. The elaborate emergency exit on the side could be used as the passenger entrance/exit (if elevators are included) while the Walkley bridge is being replaced. 

Greenboro: Seems to be the same as today, but with the addition of an emergency exit. 

South Keys: With the removal of the pocket track, it will limit operational options. The only way it could work is if the airport train stays for 6 minutes between two Bayview bound trains. Some of you on the Discord were referring to a crossover, but I'm not sure I understand. 

Uplands: seems to have quite an elaborate layout on the ground floor. Hard to tell what's what. 

Airport: I understand the airport is suppose to build the connection to the terminal (pending Fed bailout), but I wish they would have included that connection in the drawing. 

Leitrim: no comment.

Bowesville: I assume the random box is a bus station? This station should have been a future infill. What a waste. Why does it even need a bus loop in the middle of a fields when Leitrim and Limebank serve the little bit of civilization in the south end adequately?

Limebank: Where are the entrances? What's with the structure east of Limebank Road? 

5 minutes ago, J.OT13 said:

Corso Italia: pretty much what I expected, so no comments. I wish the platform was under Gladstone with entrances on both sides. 

It's hard to tell from geoOttawa, but I'm wondering if they've cheaped out on the pedestrian plaza outside of the entrance that was shown in the renderings. The area between both entrances looks empty.

8 minutes ago, J.OT13 said:

Carleton: Wider underpass should improve circulation. Not much else to say.

The supposed new underpass on the north side of the station isn't shown.

9 minutes ago, J.OT13 said:

Walkley: Very far from Walkley. I assume this may be to facilitate the replacement of the Walkley bridge in the future without affecting operations, which could also be the case with Dow's Lake.

I think this dates back to the original EA which highlighted an issue with the station being on a curve, which starts just south of the bridge.

10 minutes ago, J.OT13 said:

Some of you on the Discord were referring to a crossover, but I'm not sure I understand

There's no way for a southbound train on the west track to continue south to Leitrim with the configuration shown. The track only leads to the Airport. Presumably this is an error.

11 minutes ago, J.OT13 said:

Uplands: seems to have quite an elaborate layout on the ground floor. Hard to tell what's what. 

I think this is the first station with a complete design which is why it's so much more elaborate than other stations on geoOttawa right now. Most of the detail is actually on the platform level I think?

13 minutes ago, J.OT13 said:

Limebank: Where are the entrances? What's with the structure east of Limebank Road? 

It'll be very similar to Hurdman.

Thanks Derek! 

I hope they didn't cheap out with the Corso Italia plaza. It's what made it look more urban and complete.

I can see that curve at Walkley now. Very subtle. 

For South Keys, I understood later on. I thought everyone was refer to the crossover between Trillium and the Transitway, which was always there. 

Edited by J.OT13
5 minutes ago, Shane said:

Is the platform for Walkley slightly curved or the track before or after?

Platform is straight. The track seems to curve ever so slightly north of the platform it seems. 

It was mentioned on the discord chat but some are suspecting it is an error. Then again, the 2nd new platform at Bayview is being tagged as for emergency use only and not really seen as an active platform. So a crossover isn't really needed for Bayview but yes it would limit the use of the second platform at Corso Italia.

It has to be a mistake. Why build Corso Italia with two platforms if only one sees regular usage. Plus they no doubt need the passing track of the station to maintain frequency...

I have been advised by the OC Transpo twitter account that GeoOttawa is in the process of being updated and corrected.

This would explain some discrepancies we are noticing.

• Like 1

I believe you are referring to the Elevator. They said it would be replaced and they are advancing the steps required to do so but last update we received, no timeline given or speculated on unfortunately.

We had gone early 2020 to Blair by train. The elevator worked when we arrived to reach the Gloucester Centre, and on departure it was out. They were using a ParaTranspo bus to shuttle people to the station. We had our baby in the stroller so we weren't willing to risk climbing the stairs like that.