Confederation Line - Train Tests Spotting

I would seriously doubt there would be any connection. What happened at Belfast Yard should have no impact on the main line and even if one of the trains was waiting to return to the Belfast Yard, there is more than enough space on the connector tunnel and track back to the MSF to hold the train.

So no, not connected. Either way, what Jim Henry reported may not have been an issue with the train at Tremblay but perhaps a test maneuver for rerouting trains around. Rather than say let's pretend there's a train stuck at Tremblay eastbound platform, lets reroute trains around, they use an actual train for the actual test. Just a possible guess.

In the end, the testing phase we are seeing currently is to test all sorts of possibilities, scenarios and what-ifs, it's not just to run them back and forth and that's it. Stress test everything, and try every scenario possible to find out any issues that need to be corrected or adjusted.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went back today to spot some more. Very interesting day today.  #1116, #1132, #1122, #1133, #1121, #1124, #1118, #1131, #1117, #1107, #1115 were rolling.  As for the tests it appears, they w

Went for a spot yesterday (April 1st) and last Thrusday (March 28th). Yesterday they were only testing double trains at a rate of one train every 7 to 10 minutes. Also speed of the Double trains seems

I took a short video at Bayview yesterday. With the escalators, the trains and the announcements it really felt like an active transit station yesterday afternoon. I can't wait for the system to final

Posted Images

The new OC Transpo website includes a page that features all of the submissions for the train naming contest:
http://www.octranspo.com/en/ready-for-rail/resources/name-the-train-contest-entries/

There were 71 variations of "Trainy McTrainface" submitted, for those who are curious.

• LRT McLRTFace
  • Boaty McBoatface

• Train McTrain

• McTrain Face

• Trainy McTrain

• Train McTrainfac

• Trainy Trainface

• trainy train can

• Trainy McTrainfa

• Mr. McTrainyface

• Trainey McTrain

• TrainyMctrainfac

• Trainy McTrainfa

• TrainMcTrainface

• TrainyMcTrainfac

• Trainy McTrain F

• TrainMcTrainface

• Trainy McTrainfa

• TrainMcTrainFace

• TrainyMcTrainfac

• TrainyMcTrainFac

• TrainMcTrainFace

• Trainy McTrain

• Trainy McFace

• Trainy Mctrain

• TrainMcTrainface

• TrainyMctrainfac

• McTrainface

• TrainMcTrainFace

• Tooty McTootface

• TrainMcTrainFace

• McTrainFace

• Trainy McTrain

• Trainy McTrain

• Trainy McTrain

• Trainy McTrain

• TrainyMcTrainFac

• T.McTrainface

• Train McChugchug

• TrainMcTrainFace

• Trainy McTrainFa

• TrainyMcTrain

• TrainyMctrainfac

• Trainy mctrainfa

• TranyMcTrainface

• McTrain Face

• TrainMcTrainface

• T McTrainface

• Trainy McTrain F

• T. Mctrainface

• T. Mctrainface

• TrainMcTrainface

• T McTrainface

• TrainyMcTrainfac

• TrainMcTrainface

• TrainMctrainface

• TrainMcTrainface

• Trainy McTrain

• T. McTrainface

• TrainyOTrainFace

• TrainMcTrainface

• TrainMcTrainFace

• TrainyMcTrainfac

• trainymctrainfce

• McTrainface

• TrainMcTrainFace

• Trainy McTrainfa

• trainyMctrainfac

• TrainMcTrainFace

• TrainMcTrainface

• TrainMcTrainFace

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, occheetos said:

The new OC Transpo website includes a page that features all of the submissions for the train naming contest:
http://www.octranspo.com/en/ready-for-rail/resources/name-the-train-contest-entries/

There were 71 variations of "Trainy McTrainface" submitted, for those who are curious.

First of all, WOW I LOVE THIS NEW WEBSITE. Responsive design that scales properly, everything is layed-out in a sensible manner and actually looks modern. Glad to see there is more of the "5/6 O" (as in the sliced O or whatever it is called), as it looks more modern than most transit agencies website (other than the beta site for the TTC).

As for the train names, glad to see Trainy McTrainface will never die, but here's some of my favourites.

• Moose on the Run (I mean, a moose charging is quite impressive.)
  • Double-Double (Especially appropriate for double trains.)
  • MoreLettersPlz (Outstanding move.)
  • Sir Chugs a Lot (Sounds so much like a drinking thing, which is why I like it.)
  • Pacemaker (not only an homage to a Canadian invention, but also a great reference to speed and consistency)
  • Each Province (I could see that printed on a train)
  • Late McLateface (Too OC Transpo for the train.)
  • Maverick (Especially if it was paired with a Goose / Canada Goose, IT WOULD BE AMAZING)
  • ur mom (Ahhh those kids.)
  • Andy Tramberg (Not from Canada, but the Canadian reference in Brooklyn Nine Nine are quite something.)
  • Jeff (Gotta appreciate the motivation)
  • [DELETED] (Given some of the things that made it to the list, I kinda wish we saw them, because they kept some really doubtful innuendos)
  • Shania Train (Obvious, but gold. Although she's from Windsor.)
  • 3 weeks later...

During my photo safari yesterday, I believe I only saw single units operating. One thing is for sure, they are ridiculously quiet. At Cyrville, I didn't even notice or hear it arrive but only saw it leaving. They're getting quieter. I do like the sound the rails make when trains are approaching the station. Doesn't help to determine from which direction though as the sound made seems to be the same.

9 hours ago, Shane said:

During my photo safari yesterday, I believe I only saw single units operating. One thing is for sure, they are ridiculously quiet. At Cyrville, I didn't even notice or hear it arrive but only saw it leaving. They're getting quieter. I do like the sound the rails make when trains are approaching the station. Doesn't help to determine from which direction though as the sound made seems to be the same.

You mention how quiet the trains are in particular at Cyrville. Did you make it to Tremblay as well? Last time I was there the trains were very noisy going over the curves in the track to the east of Tremblay station, though on the straight sections I agree they are very quiet.

Indeed at both Cyrville and Tremblay I missed catching the “next train” for some shots in the video as I didn’t hear them approaching on at least one occasion at both places. 

• Shane unfeatured and pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Spotted this morning looking down at Pimisi. 

The train at the tunnel entrance was stuck there for a few minutes while the train at the station waited!IMG_20190618_084318.thumb.jpg.37dec40e04fbe6d7e299ececaa16befd.jpg

The stuck train eventually moved and on the right side a double-train rolled in but stopped just like that as opposed to entering all the way into the station.IMG_20190618_084636.thumb.jpg.136618c79b80bea711f5dda9d232041e.jpg

I biked past Belfast Yard today and observed something interesting. 

At the very back of the storage shed, along with most of the trains (none were out testing today) there were a few trains that appeared to be in the different stages of assembly (like I had seen a few months ago). Two of them were missing all of their roof panels, and another three were more assembled, but had blue protective film on some of their parts (near the windshields).

I know 1135-1138 were already in assembly, but I wonder if Alstom had actually already started to assemble trains beyond that for Stage 2.

image.thumb.png.60fe7a682c3925b964290b28dfad900b.pngYou can only see 4 of the trains in this picture unfortunately, but the fifth one I saw was just further inside than the last one you can see.

1 hour ago, occheetos said:

I biked past Belfast Yard today and observed something interesting. 

At the very back of the storage shed, along with most of the trains (none were out testing today) there were a few trains that appeared to be in the different stages of assembly (like I had seen a few months ago). Two of them were missing all of their roof panels, and another three were more assembled, but had blue protective film on some of their parts (near the windshields).

I know 1135-1138 were already in assembly, but I wonder if Alstom had actually already started to assemble trains beyond that for Stage 2.

Given the contract was officially awarded, it is very likely that assembly for vehicles past 1138 has started. While I doubt it is the units being retrofitted for brakes and doors, roof panels are generally the last parts to be assembled (judging by the current units). Of course it is difficult to say beyond any doubt, but if I recall correctly 1135-1138 were almost complete last time I saw a report on them.

I think in a recent FEDCO or a city memo, it was mentioned all the Stage 2 Confederation Line trains would be completed by 2021 or 2022. I’ll have to check again later to be sure but that’s what I remember off the top of my head. 

1 hour ago, DavidBellerive said:

Given the contract was officially awarded, it is very likely that assembly for vehicles past 1138 has started. While I doubt it is the units being retrofitted for brakes and doors, roof panels are generally the last parts to be assembled (judging by the current units). Of course it is difficult to say beyond any doubt, but if I recall correctly 1135-1138 were almost complete last time I saw a report on them.

Also given that they were parked in the very back of the shed (i.e. the hardest to get out to work on) they probably aren't the ones that they're focusing on right now.

The maintenance facility was active today as well, so I imagine work is being done on the weekends too. Wasn't possible to get a peek inside through the open maintenance doors.

2 hours ago, occheetos said:

Also given that they were parked in the very back of the shed (i.e. the hardest to get out to work on) they probably aren't the ones that they're focusing on right now.

The maintenance facility was active today as well, so I imagine work is being done on the weekends too. Wasn't possible to get a peek inside through the open maintenance doors.

Yeah, given that Alstom "assured" the city they could finish the trains by July 7, they probably have staff around the clock to be sure to meet the deadline. I am genuinely curious to know if they'll meet the goal they've set, or it was just for "public show", but given how almost all LRT projects in Canada suffered from vehicle related delays for the most part, and how Alstom has the expertise to achieve their deadlines, I put quite some trust in them.

Yesterday the testing pattern was interesting, as most vehicles operated either at 4 or 2 minutes interval. Also many double units, a thing I hadn't seen in a while! Glad to see testing is ongoing and picking up pace along the alignment.

On a more related note, seeing more and more vehicles opening doors at stations, which is probably part of the tests for the new parts?

• Shane unpinned this topic