2039 Rapid Transit

3 hours ago, Shane said:

Small question, it is mostly self explanatory however how would it get between Bronson and Lansdowne? Would it be tunneled or surface down Bank?

I personally like the idea of running it along Queen Elizabeth, but

Dodge the inevitable resistance from the Glebe in favour of a potential compromise from the NCC? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My proposed alternative to the 2030 Carling Tram. I estimate the completion date for a fully underground system around the late 2040s. Any thoughts?

Looks good. I would propose at least three stations along Rideau (Rideau, King Edward and Cobourg). With about a dozen towers u/c along Rideau at the moment, this could become the densest corridor in

Here's the Line 3 Extension! Thoughts?

Posted Images

Very nice Antoine. This will be a segment well received and deserved by Kanata residents. I still find it disappointing that for Stage 2 it ends at Moodie rather than Eagleson. 

On a sidenote, what are you using to create these maps?

3 hours ago, Shane said:

On a sidenote, what are you using to create these maps?

Thanks! It's a software called Concept Draw Diagram. Allows to make charts, maps, layouts, etc out of templates, basically a variant of Power Point. Not a fantastic software, but they have a free trial version so that's what I'm using.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for creating these Antoine! Is this accurate (proposed stations)? I've searched for the Cumberland Transitway a few times, but I've never been able to find precise station locations.

Station spacing is a little too tight for a suburban community, one that's already largely developed as low-density. The stretch between Chapel Hill and Millennium is a little over 4 kilometres, so 600 meters between stations (only Lyon-Parliament is shorter at 400 meters) . Acceptable for BRT, but if they end up building rail right-off-the-bat, they might want to cut-down. 

• Like 1

Good Day.

Yes, it has always been planned as a RoW-separated T-way.

That is also why and along with the push from time-to-time to get it built as rail straight off, rather than BRT and then convert.

We'll see what happens with that - I expect not much. It will be a far future Stage 4 or 5.

EnJoy!

Edited by PHrenetic

We can see the reserved corridor for the Cumberland Transitway quite well on Google Maps. It starts at Navan Road and Brian Coburn and continues north-east at an angle following the Hydro corridor. It splits from the Hydro corridor in Avalon behind the Home Depot, with a strip of reserved land between suburban homes, and ends at Millenium. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ottawa,+ON/@45.4082842,-75.5127921,4768a,35y,38.6t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cce05b25f5113af:0x8a6a51e131dd15ed!8m2!3d45.4215296!4d-75.6971931

4 hours ago, J.OT13 said:

We can see the reserved corridor for the Cumberland Transitway

Yeah, it seems uncertain if it would intersect with the perpendicular streets or be completely grade-separated; hence why I used the double lines on my map. I also doubt it would ever be rail before the 2060s, the newer part of Orleans will never have the density

19 hours ago, Antoine said:

Yeah, it seems uncertain if it would intersect with the perpendicular streets or be completely grade-separated; hence why I used the double lines on my map. I also doubt it would ever be rail before the 2060s, the newer part of Orleans will never have the density

In terms of sound investment of public funds and good urban planning, I fully agree that the Cumberland Transitway should be built as BRT and remain that way for decades, if not in perpetuity. That said, political brass of the past half century has strongly favoured higher-order transit to the suburbs instead of high-density areas (Bank, Rideau-Montreal), which is why I suspect this could be part of Stage 4 of the Confederation Line. 

If Line 1 is split in the east end, I would favour at Rideau in order to serve the high-density corridor of Rideau-Montreal, though that could cause capacity issues at Hurdman. The other option could be splitting at Hurdman to serve the General Hospital campus and Emvale Acres (part of the original Cumberland Transitway plan, which of course was completely eliminated in favour of the suburban stretch of the route).

The S/E Transitway functions very well as a BRT and should never be converted IMO, especially considering parts of the route parallel the Trillium Line. 

6 hours ago, J.OT13 said:

The S/E Transitway functions very well as a BRT and should never be converted IMO, especially considering parts of the route parallel the Trillium Line. 

Maybe it should be converted to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLbhhdoCdl0