2039 Rapid Transit

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My proposed alternative to the 2030 Carling Tram. I estimate the completion date for a fully underground system around the late 2040s. Any thoughts?

Looks good. I would propose at least three stations along Rideau (Rideau, King Edward and Cobourg). With about a dozen towers u/c along Rideau at the moment, this could become the densest corridor in

Here's the Line 3 Extension! Thoughts?

Posted Images

2 hours ago, corynv said:

With the amount of snow/ice we get here, i'm not to sure that's a good idea. Seems like it'll be a bitch to plow something like that.

Well, you see, I thought it was a good idea for the same reason. In the past, buses have hit people that were just waiting in a shelter, I have seen it happen, and we all sadly remember the tragic events at Westboro. Being in tracks should prevent that from happening. But Adelaide has a warm climate. Maybe here we could heat the tracks where the tires roll?

I was in Adelaide several years ago and rode the system. It's impressive, though suffers from the same high driver to passenger ratio which eventually sounded the death knell of the Transitway. My sense would be that Ottawa's winter snow/ice freeze/thaw combos wouldn't allow for the track/side wheel system to work well. The side wheels are quite small and demand a clear tolerance. Speaking of ice, RTM can't even make stand-alone switches operate properly along the Confed Line, let alone a track system that runs parallel and horizontal to the entire length of the system . . . 

• Like 1

If your suggested tunnel routing above was built, there would be nothing stopping them from having a slight branch go off to TD Place. And run it shuttle style between Parliament and TD Place, in between regular line service.

9 hours ago, Shane said:

If your suggested tunnel routing above was built, there would be nothing stopping them from having a slight branch go off to TD Place. And run it shuttle style between Parliament and TD Place, in between regular line service.

That would be my vision; split the line at Catherine with one branch west down Carling (underground to the current Carling Station, then elevated to Lincoln Fields) and one branch south, underground continuing to Lansdowne, through old Ottawa south and then elevated south of the Rideau River to Billings Bridge. 

Service patterns could be modified depending on events at TD Place. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, J.OT13 said:

That would be my vision; split the line at Catherine with one branch west down Carling (underground to the current Carling Station, then elevated to Lincoln Fields) and one branch south, underground continuing to Lansdowne, through old Ottawa south and then elevated south of the Rideau River to Billings Bridge. 

Service patterns could be modified depending on events at TD Place. 

Similar to this?

carling_extension.png

• Like 2

If a line is ever built under Bank Street it will align with the denser parts of the "urban" area. In other words, more of an urban subway/metro than the Stadtbahn-like Confederation Line extensions now being built with considerable distances between low-density suburban areas. So, if a Bank subway is built, the financial and political investments need to be made to have a couple more stations along Bank between Parliament and Glebe.

Also, long-term plans to relocate the bus station to Tremblay/Via Rail may render the current bus station a site for high-rise redevelopment

1 hour ago, TransitDaddy said:

If a line is ever built under Bank Street it will align with the denser parts of the "urban" area. In other words, more of an urban subway/metro than the Stadtbahn-like Confederation Line extensions now being built with considerable distances between low-density suburban areas. So, if a Bank subway is built, the financial and political investments need to be made to have a couple more stations along Bank between Parliament and Glebe.

Also, long-term plans to relocate the bus station to Tremblay/Via Rail may render the current bus station a site for high-rise redevelopment

I'd only add a station at Gladstone.

The technology I would choose would be something similar to Skytrain or the REM, with 100 meter platforms, bringing the top capacity to 24,000-30,000. (enough to split the line at Catherine). This would be far cheaper than full heavy-rail subway, but similar to the Confederation Line's downtown portion. With Skytrain/REM, we would get wider trains, with an even floor, fewer seats and more doors, resulting in much better passenger flow compared to our low-floor Citadis, which has a limited number of doors and narrow isles, making it a challenge to get in and out when the trains are full. 

I would also like to see the Greyhound terminal moved to Tremblay as soon as possible. Without rapid transit, the current location is absolutely terrible. 

Future phase of the Yellow Line would be down Rideau-Montreal, another dense corridor of the city that's been largely ignored. At Montfort, I would have it turn south to serve La Cité and end at Blair. 

On 2020-08-22 at 11:11 AM, J.OT13 said:

our low-floor Citadis, which has a limited number of doors and narrow isles, making it a challenge to get in and out when the trains are full. 

I have to agree that the Citadis Spirit is not well thought out for flow... the more we use it, the more we see its flaws. The problem you underline is more evident at the Front where it forms an enclave from which it is hard to get out at rush hour if the car is full.

And the jury is still out on whether this is the right vehicle for our climate.

• Like 1
On 2020-08-22 at 11:11 AM, J.OT13 said:

Future phase of the Yellow Line would be down Rideau-Montreal, another dense corridor of the city that's been largely ignored. At Montfort, I would have it turn south to serve La Cité and end at Blair. 

Here's the Line 3 Extension! Thoughts?

vanier_subway.png

• Like 2

Looks good. I would propose at least three stations along Rideau (Rideau, King Edward and Cobourg). With about a dozen towers u/c along Rideau at the moment, this could become the densest corridor in the city. Not to mention the 6 towers and 3 mid-rises proposed (one is u/c) within 400 meters from the intersection of Vanier Parkway and Montréal.

I might also add a station between Dupuis and Bégin; multiple vacant and parking lots for redevelopment, the former City Hall (now condos) and a couple office buildings. The area sort of feels like the "heart" of Vanier, but that might just be me. 

After Carson, I'd have the line go down Bathgate with a station serving both the NRC and La Cité before heading south through the Silver City Parking lot to Blair. La Cité is in sort of an awkward spot; I would love a station in the middle of the courtyard, but it would be very difficult to get the line there without multiple 90 degree turns or disturbing low-density neighborhoods, so a station on the Bathgate side, with interior connection (through expansions or a new pedestrian bridge built by the college) could work. The distance from the edge of campus and the station would be similar to the other three post-secondary institutions. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...