Shane

Welcome to the new Rail Fans Forum

Welcome to the new Rail Fans Forum.

As you may have recently noticed, there have been some small changes to O-Train Fans, mainly affecting the forums.

The response to the site since it was launched has been tremendous and I am very appreciative for everyone's support.

There has also been interest in expanding the O-Train Fans concept and platform to other cities in Canada. It is that new direction that we are moving towards today with the changes now seen on the forums. 

O-Train Fans (Ottawa's O-Train Enthusiasts) will very soon be joined by Metro Fans (Montreal's Metro Enthusiasts), SkyTrain Fans (Vancouver's SkyTrain Enthusiasts) and Subway Fans (Toronto's Subway Enthusiasts). More details on these sites will follow soon.

I believe that all discussions should be shared and cross platform, which is why the forums have separated from the O-Train Fans site to allow the new sites discussions to be grouped under one station platform, the Rail Fans Forum.

Thank you again for all of your support and I hope to see you all on the forums.

Shane Séguin

• Like 2

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for behind the scenes looks and video content : www.youtube.com/railfans

This is great news! Were able to find people from those cities to administer the website and monitor their respective sub-forums? Any ambitions to expand to other Canadian cities and possibly beyond our borders?

As always Shane (and everyone else involved), great work! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Is it possible to create both separate Bus and Train subforums?

The Ottawa-Gatineau region and the History and Photos forums for example only has threads about buses and not trains.

Edited by STO_1601

21 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

Is it possible to create both separate Bus and Train subforums?

The Ottawa-Gatineau region and the History and Photos forums for example only has threads about buses and not trains.

Can you elaborate a bit more on how you are suggesting it should be structured?

22 hours ago, J.OT13 said:

This is great news! Were able to find people from those cities to administer the website and monitor their respective sub-forums? Any ambitions to expand to other Canadian cities and possibly beyond our borders?

As always Shane (and everyone else involved), great work! 

Thank you for your comments and support. The new sites will be very much a collaborative and volunteer endeavor to create content, snap photos and build up their libraries. I am already starting to reach out to potentially interested parties and a more general call for volunteers will be made once the sites are online. If you know of anyone who is interested, they are invited to reach out to signal their interest with me. The new sites are nearly ready, however more details will be forthcoming very shortly.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Shane said:

Can you elaborate a bit more on how you are suggesting it should be structured?

Something like this:

Rail Fans Forums:

O-Train Fans - Ottawa's O-Train Enthusiasts

• O-Train
  • Stations

Metro Fans - Montreal's Metro Enthusiasts

• Metro
  • Stations

SkyTrain Fans - Vancouver's SkyTrain Enthusiasts

• SkyTrain
  • Stations

Subway Fans - Toronto's Subway Enthusiasts

• Subway
  • Stations

Bus Fan Forums:

OC Transpo/STO Fans - National Capital Region's OC Transpo/STO Enthusiasts

• Ottawa-Gatineau Region
  • History and Photos

STM Fans - Greater Montreal Area's STM Enthusiasts

• Montreal Region
  • History and Photos

Translink Fans - Metro Vancouver's Translink Enthusiasts

• Vancouver Region
  • History and Photos

TTC Fans - Greater Toronto Area's TTC Enthusiasts

• Greater Toronto Area 
  • History and Photos

Edited by STO_1601

Thanks for the suggestion. Would there be enough people interested in this to warrant separating it from the existing categories? It is a good idea but there is already good coverage on CPTDB in those areas of discussion. Should this move forward, it would only be based on the forums, as there is currently no plan to launch or expand the sites themselves to cover bus transit.

What are the thoughts of others? Would you find this beneficial or of interest to have dedicated bus forum categories on the site? Is there enough interest?

I don't know if it would be worth it to create new bus specific forums however, it might be worth giving buses their own categories/sub-categories:

O-Train Fans - Ottawa's O-Train Enthusiasts

• OC Transpo/STO Bus Fans
    • Transitway/Rapidbus Stations
    • OC Transpo/STO Bus Netwaork News/Developments
    • History and Photos

Just an idea to try and find a balance between the current set-up and STO_1601's proposal. 

Something like this could work. A good balance between the current setup and STO's setup. Thanks for the suggestion J.OT13

59 minutes ago, Shane said:

Something like this could work. A good balance between the current setup and STO's setup. Thanks for the suggestion J.OT13

Might also want to add a section for Montreal's REM? I have a bunch of short videos and pictures of the project.

• Like 1

Did the modifications to the Ottawa-Gatineau region. Let me know what you think? This could be mirrored for the other sites if well received. @Antoine