STO_1601

O-Train Fans Wiki

Hi @Shane

It is possible to create an O-Train fans wiki for this forum?

CPTDB and Transitfan Network both have one even though the latter's is completely out of date.

Also, How would you handle Wiki editors? Should new members wait awhile until they they get used to posting on this forum or should you create an applications forum for members to sign up?

Anyway, What you do think of this idea?

Please give me your thoughts on this.

Thanks

• Like 1

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for behind the scenes looks and video content : www.youtube.com/railfans

Hello. Thank you for your suggestion.
What kind of information would you like to host on the wiki. Would there be overlap with what is on the other wikis you referenced above?

3 hours ago, Shane said:

Hello. Thank you for your suggestion.
What kind of information would you like to host on the wiki. Would there be overlap with what is on the other wikis you referenced above?

Here's of what I believe the wiki should include:

• List of all O-Train Models, Lines (Confederation & Trillum), etc.
  • List of some other Train/Metro/Subway Models
  • List of all Stations from O-Train and beyond.
  • List of all Bus Models mostly from OC Transpo and STO maybe a few others.
  • List of OC Transpo and STO Routes

Those are a few of my suggestions, If you have more please let me know.

Thanks

Also, If there was a O-Train Fans wiki

I would frequently add updates to the STO wrap ads.

That section on the CPTDB version is always ignored.

If I am not mistaken, you are an editor on the CPTDB WIKI are you not? I don't really have much (if any experience) editing wikis, so this would be more a community driven thing if it is added.

Are there others who would like a wiki? Who else would participate in adding information and content to it?

1 hour ago, Shane said:

If I am not mistaken, you are an editor on the CPTDB WIKI are you not? I don't really have much (if any experience) editing wikis, so this would be more a community driven thing if it is added.

Are there others who would like a wiki? Who else would participate in adding information and content to it?

To be honest,

I was never was a CPTDB wiki editor. I tried so many times, filling in so many applications but I just kept getting rejected.

I had to keep making edit requests in the Content Changes Forums.

Ah ok. 

I am really just trying to assess if there would be enough interested people to contribute. Don't want to make this addition and then it be relatively empty.

I love reading Wikis myself but editing, and contributing content to them is something I've never done or have any real interest in, so I wouldn't be able to approach it like I have with the rest of the stuff. That's why it would really be a community effort, and knowing how many people would actually actively contribute is a big factor on this.

I defninitely appreciate the suggestion of adding a Wiki

In my opinion, I don't see the value added of a wiki along with the existing site(s) and its pages. Regardless of duplication of other sites and wikis, there's potential for duplication between a wiki here and the site itself. Anything that's missing from the site now could still be user-contributed just like a number of pages already are.

If a wiki is added, I think it should take the place of the main site since that's where all the content is anyway. But I imagine that would be a big undertaking and of course I don't know how Shane feels about that.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input on the wiki.

@occheetos raises the good point, which was part of my concern, duplicate content. People are always free to contribute to the main site if there is content that can be added by contacting me via email. The main site is the core component of the site and not something I want to replace with a wiki, nor do I want two sections competing with each other on similar or same content.

I do appreciate the offer for more content or information but the primary area of focus is the O-Train and not bus transit. The forums are open for discussions on these areas but I doubt there will be an actual bus section added to the main sites at any point.

As I also mentioned earlier, the WIKI on CPTDB is rather comprehensive and seems to fill the need. I don't think something could be done here that would offer more value, or not directly compete on some level with the CPTDB wiki.

So for now, I do want to thank you for the suggestion but we won't be going ahead with the addition of a wiki at this time on the sites. I hope everyone understands.