Commuter Rail

On 9/8/2018 at 11:31 AM, reecemartin said:

Extending to Fitzroy which has ~5000 pop. is silly. Though he did say Stage 2 would still happen.

Yeah, but he would delay it which would be costly and pointless. My guess is he's just trying to differentiate himself from the excellent Mayor we already have by being the crap mayor we don't want...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To me if Moose is admitting that the stations are in inconvenient locations, that says everything. Poor plan acknowledged right from the start. If your plan is to build something and you can't even bu

To me personally, this is complete nonsense, in fact with even less of a chance and less of an in depth look of the system then MOOSE rail. He would cancel the Stage 2 of LRT, and make a whole boat lo

Lots of questions indeed on this "Campaign Pitch". If this came to pass, it would seriously reduce the appeal and extent of LRT in Ottawa. I am in no way against other people's opinions or positions o

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Yeah, but he would delay it which would be costly and pointless. My guess is he's just trying to differentiate himself from the excellent Mayor we already have by being the crap mayor we don't want...

Another point with Clive Doucets “plan”, it would extend into mutiple municipalities, including another province, not just ottawa. The logistics of one city doing this, and not a provincial/federal/private agency are so complicated and unrealistic to do by 2021.

Also, here is the 2018-2020 MOOSE rail brochure, including a timeline that says that trains would be runny by 2020. https://www.onyvamoose.ca/wp-content/uploads//MooseRail_Brochure2018-Ottawa-V8.pdf

At least MOOSE keeps the dates in its documents up to date. :classic_rolleyes:

That timeline conflicts with Stage 2 though (I guess they're still assuming the city will drop the Trillium Line entirely). In July of 2020 the Trillium Line will have just been closed to do work for the Stage 2 upgrades and at some point the corridor will need to be shut down for 3 weeks anyway to facilitate 417 overpass work.

It does however, put them in the perfect position to integrate their construction work (such as double tracking the corridor) with the Stage 2 work to provide "minimal" disruption... y'know, should it ever happen.

• 4 weeks later...

That would definitely be interesting. Not sure how that could be accomplished without yet another tunnel. 

Imagine the costs involved for another tunnel. If it was positioned a block away it could also provide some relief downtown when the main confederation line is saturated or on busy days. Overall the commuter rail would be more interesting if it did come into downtown and not as close as just Bayview. 

Hopefully he can provide more details on the How as it would be interesting to see, if nothing else. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2018 at 3:55 PM, reecemartin said:

Whats the status of Moose . . .

Honestly imo in the ideal world, Bayview gets several platforms and can act as a regional rail hub with several branches north and south of the river but, with DMU (hence eventually EMU) service similar to the current Trillium Line but with several services.

The Gatineau West LRT plan is to use the Prince of Wales Bridge to get to Bayview.  I'm not sure there is a population base any time in the next 50 years for commuter rail on the Gatineau side.  Gatineau is a small city, with a working BRT and a planned LRT (more like a Tramway).  The other communities outside Gatineau, for example Chelsea, have a bus system of their own called Des Collines.  Their buses are tiny and usually run with very few passengers.